20 - The power

Oliver's head spun every time he thought of his evening with Beth. She had evaded the subject of Lucas not wanting to marry her. He wondered just what it's complicated meant.

He had been bold teasing her about being scared. It was one hundred percent true. He wanted to sleep with her, but it was not something he should be sharing. Still she hugged him and that embrace in the cold night air awoke feelings inside of him he had kept dormant for a long time.

At her request, he sent a text to Lucas. His reply was like a slap in the face, because it reminded him of how much his friend loved Beth. Not enough to marry her and give her a baby, he thought rather bitterly. When her text came that she was home safe, he tried to forget that Lucas was anxiously awaiting her arrival. Did he pull her into his arms? Oliver would have if she had driven through snow-covered roads to come home to him. Lying in bed, he had trouble getting the image of Beth and Lucas out of his head.

Too many mornings recently, Ava greeted him the same. "You look terrible." He just shrugged. "You were supposed to rest on our day off."

"Let it go will you, Ava." He snapped.

"I'll bet ten bucks this has to do with Bethany, your long-lost love." She teased.

He scowled at her and started with his day. Could he get away with refusing to speak to her? No, she was his business partner. When he brought her his specials, she said, "I'm glad the snow was on Monday. If we were open last night, it would have been dead."

"Hopefully people will want to come out tonight." They both knew that midwinter weeknights were notoriously slow for restaurants. People just didn't want to go out after they came home from work on cold, dark nights. The gala would expose them to new customers, because there would be free publicity because the local news channels were covering the event. They were giving up a Saturday night hoping the short-term loss would pay off later.

Oliver left in the afternoon to play basketball. Lucas was waiting.

"Hey. I'm glad she made it home last night."

"Me too. You almost had a houseguest."

"It would be no bother, after all it is her house. Just so you know, I spoke to her about my lease. She said we could talk after the gala."

"If you move out, she'll leave me," Lucas blurted out.

"What are you talking about?"

"If she has her house back, she'll have no reason to stay."

"I thought you loved each other."

"We do, but we have different visions of the future. When I leased to you I knew it would help me hold on to her longer."

"So if I move out, she'll leave you, but if I don't, she'll stay with you?" Oliver clarified and Lucas affirmed his assessment.

Oliver couldn't believe that he had the power to end Beth and Lucas' relationship. As exciting as it sounded, he couldn't move out without talking to Beth.

Did she see things the same as Lucas? Did she want to leave him?

"Women are fickle, last night when she came home she wasn't acting like she wanted to leave me, if you know what I mean." Lucas bragged.

He couldn't think about it. He had spent the night relishing the lingering feel of her embrace while she went home and fell into Lucas' arms. At least Beth and Hayley hadn't been friends, but he and Lucas are.

Oliver wasn't sure when he'd see Beth again. Did he have a reason for her to stop by on Wednesday? If she did, he could make lunch. They were out of memorable meals from their summer together.

He texted her, Are we all set or do we need to meet on Wednesday?

She didn't reply until later, We're good. I have to collect auction donations.

Ok. Was your ride home awful?

She replied, maybe a little.

I'm glad you were safe. You could have stayed.

She answered, too many memories.

Ave called him and he texted, Wonderful memories. Back to work. Bye.

He suddenly wished he could take the text back, but it was gone. He kept nudging her. He was waiting for her relationship with Lucas to fail. He didn't want to be the cause, but he wanted to be there for her when it did.

Taking a second to glance at his phone, he saw her response. Don't!

He definitely nudged too far. As expected, it was a slow night as was Wednesday and Thursday that week. On Thursday night, a server told him that a table was asking for him. Hoping he was stepping out of the kitchen for a compliment rather than a complaint, it surprised him to see Lucas and Beth. His stomach flipped, but it was dread not excitement. He really hated to see them together.

Putting on his game face, he approached. "This is a surprise!"

Lucas said, "Bethany worked until seven, so we went out."

"Thank you for choosing Les Bistros Français. With the cold temperatures we've been slow this week. Have you ordered?"

"Not yet," Lucas said.

"Tell me what you want." Oliver made eye contact with Beth.

Beth's gaze met his, but Lucas' voice broke their connection. "I want the duck again. It's delicious." Looking at Beth, he said, "Babe..."

Oliver cringed a little at the babe. He preferred other terms of endearment like love, sweetheart, or even dear, which was what his father often called his mother.

Bethany was still contemplating the menu. Oliver said, "I can make you most anything."

"What I really want is something light without heavy sauces?" She admitted.

"Then that's what you'll have."

Oliver sautéed vegetables and chicken in a light, but flavorful white wine sauce. As he plated her meal, he realized they should offer a lighter fare alternative to the heavier French cuisine.