21 - ADVISOR

"That's what you're doing to Phil, isn't it?" she panted, suddenly feeling weak to the knees "You're reviving him?!"

FURY NODDED SLOWLY, giving her a few seconds to adjust to the initial shock. Admittedly, it couldn't be easy for anyone to wrap their heads around something as huge as this.

"Allfather be good..." she muttered, pacing feverishly around the room "Do you realize what you're doing?! You're playing with life and death!"

She didn't know how to feel. This was insane; more than insane, it was reckless! Every single one of her internal sirens were blaring, flooding her mind with the disastrous consequences this project could have.

"I know this is hard to accept," Fury told her "But think about it... what do we have to lose?"

"What do we have to lose?!" She repeated, seriously wondering just how badly Fury had lost the plot "How can you ask that question?! What if he's not the same as he used to be? What if he turns out to be completely out of his mind? Or dangerous?!"

"It's possible," he admitted "But we have the means to control all of this... besides, is Agent Coulson not worth the risk?"

Angrboda stayed silent, still pacing back and forth. Fury knew exactly how to manipulate her but she wasn't going to let him use her guilt over Phil's death to sway her judgment... then again, it was Phil they were taking about... it was the man who lost his life to save her, the man who got killed because she was a reckless idiot and wanted to prove a stupid point.

Of course she still felt responsible. Of course she wanted to make things right... but meddling with life and death could be downright catastrophic.

She didn't know what to say, she didn't know what was right or wrong anymore. S.H.I.E.L.D. had challenged her morals more than once since joining the Avengers but this was on a whole new level.

"W-why do you want me in on this project?" she finally asked in a low voice "You've made it clear you're not asking for my approval and you know perfectly well I'm of no use when it comes to science; so what do you want from me?"

"I was thinking of bringing you in as an advisor, to help Agent Coulson adjust back into life," he shrugged leaning back against his chair "Unlike what you may think, I do value your input."

She leaned against the desk, arms crossed over her chest "Well this is certainly a novelty."

He didn't comment on her mocking tone; instead asking the question that seemed to have been on his mind for a while "How close were you to Agent Coulson?"

She sighed pensively "Not very. He was a friend but I didn't know him for a long time."

"It wasn't your fault you know. I know you blame yourself for what happened but you shouldn't. It comes with the job."

She stared down at her feet, feeling uneasy "That's what Phil told me..."

"Trust me. You did what you had to do."

She wasn't used to Fury being anything but patronizing. It felt odd hearing him trying to reassure her like that. She appreciated the intention but the chance of it toning down her guilt was slim.

Silence fell a second time, longer than before. She averted her eyes back to the screen were the live footage of Phil's operation was still rolling.

"This doesn't look like the Helicarrier, where is it?"

"Secret location," he said "We call it the Guest House."

She rolled her eyes "And even the advisor can't know where the Guest House is?"