28 - OUT OF TIME

WHEN TONY STARK had his mind set on something, God knows there's nothing that can make him backtrack. So when Fury told him about the nuclear missile about to drop on New York City, he hadn't thought twice.

In all honesty, his plan was good, really good: he would throw the missile into the portal, destroying the Chitauri's mother ship and preventing the death of millions of people.

Yes, it seemed like a good plan... until the realization crept into him, slowly at first, before it presented like an evidence... This is probably a one-way trip, isn't it?

His thoughts were drowning him and he stood there, in mid-air, unable to move. He tried to tune out the mayhem in his mind and the cold, raw fear crippling him.

He couldn't overthink this too much. His mind was made up and he was not going to change it... There's worse ways to go after all.

"Guys, I can shut the portal down!"

The voice in his earpiece pulled him out of his trance. It was Angie.

Her words resonated in his ear long after she uttered them. Hearing her speak through the chaos of his thoughts was all he needed to persuade him he was doing the right thing.

"Do it!" he heard Thor say.

"No wait!"

"Stark, these things are still coming!"

Tony couldn't tell them what he was about to do. They'd probably try to get involved or talk him out of it and he knew he had to go through it on his own.

"Trust me," he insisted "Don't close the portal just yet."

And with that, Tony spotted the familiar tip of the Tower that bared his name. He strengthened the thrusters of his suit and flew over at light speed.

The missile would be dropped any minute now. There was one last thing he had to do.

The Iron Man landed on the roof of the Stark Tower with a small thwack.

Angrboda flinched slightly before turning around. Her eyes widened in surprise as she watched Tony, taking off his helmet and walking straight to her.

Tony stood for a second, taking in the sight of the woman in front of him. He observed every emotion that swept across her face, the weary glimmer in her striking blue eyes, the dried blood on the side of her face, the movement of her lips as she spoke to him... he wanted to etch every detail in his mind, for safe keeping, if that was the last thing he could have.

"Tony," her voice trembled "What are you—"

His armored hands grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her in until their lips finally touched. He kissed her passionately, almost desperately. In an instant the world fell into a blur, with just the two of them standing up on that roof.

Angrboda's heart was hammering in her chest, barely grasping the reality of the situation. But already, their moment was over as he pulled back, resting his forehead against hers.

"I love you."

Her eyes widened, not quite believing he had just said that. She tried to form a coherent sentence but the words wouldn't come out.

Before she knew it, Tony was already flying off, without another word or explanation. Leaving her behind, completely dazed and overwhelmed.

Did that really just happen?!