Challenge

It was finally Friday and all I could say is that I'm happy, but not really.
I went to class and then to the next. Josh and Chris weren't in school. Less drama I guess?
What I was happy for was for the project we had to do in chemistry.
I mean, I have Vanessa as my partner and that means more talking to her.
"Okay, everyone go to your given partner and start on the project," said my professor.
I got up and took my stuff with Vanessa.

"Hey."

She didn't say anything. She just looked at me and smiled.
I asked her, "Do you get this?"
She nodded her head saying yes and handed me the notes.
"Thanks."
I copied her notes.
"So. . . you got friends in this class?"
She shook her head no.
"Oh. Well, I can be your friend."
She looked up and smiled.
"Really?"
"Yeah! Of course."

I can't believe this is the most I have heard her talk. And that smile she gave me made me feel like I was getting somewhere.
That's when a blonde girl came up to our table and asked me, "Hey is your name Crawford?"
I said, "Yeah."
"Oh," she giggled. "But you're single right?"
"Umm...why?"
"Oh well my friend over there wants to know if you can give her your number."
She pointed to a girl staring at our direction with a blushing face and turned the other way.
I looked at the blonde girl and said, "sorry, I don't give out my number like that," and did a shrug.
The blonde girl said "oh it's okay! We won't give your number to anyone else. It's just for my friend over there that thinks you're cute."
I said, "Look, I don't think you understood what I meant. I'm not giving my number to anyone," and just like that, I turned back to Vanessa and she increased her small smile at me. It made me feel a bit happy she watched me reject the other girl. I honestly don't want to talk to anyone. My eyes laid on her since I saw her and I know I don't even know her, but I know soon this "stranger" thing will be over.

"So guys, have you two decided what y'all want to demonstrate to the class as a ion or element model?"
The professor asked us while he stood up, trying to read our minds.
"Remember, Crawford. Vanessa here is a very intelligent girl. I know you haven't been in my class too long to understand what we're studying about, but if you ask her, she'll most likely help you to catch up. Or you can ask me."
"Thank you sir."
"No problem. So what are y'all thinking about on how to make the model?"
"Well professor, I thought a g–"
I interrupted Vanessa and said the first thing that came to my mind:
"Actually sir, we thought of making this model out of an important element from the periodic table which is #6."
He just said in shock, "Well Crawford... that doesn't sound like a bad idea. You agree too, Vanessa?"
She just looked at me with her mouth wide open and shook her head in agreement slowly, not knowing if she's agreeing to the right thing. I could tell she liked this idea by her face expression.
"Excellent! You guys keep working on the project. Can't wait to see everyone's models. Let me know if y'all both need help."
"Oh my god, Crawford. We're making the model out of coal?"
"Why not?"
She closed her eyes, covered her face with her hands, and shook her head in disappointment and embarrassment.
"What's wrong?"
"Everyone is gonna make fun of me."
"Why? There's no reason to."
"You don't understand. Everyone knows I'm weird. I'm known to be the girl sculpting coal."
I frowned and looked at the floor in disappointment. I dragged her in a hole.
"It's okay though," she said, trying to be positive about the situation. " I'm up for a challenge."
I looked up and gave her a slight smile.

She grind too, but she was looking down.