Chapter 14

December 15th, 2017

I laid sprawled out in the family room struggling to find a topic for my next video assignment. Shayne was at practice so I had the whole house to myself. Papers were scattered all over the floor, each one having notes scribbled on. I picked up one of them and realized it was one of my storyboards with a major plot hole. I crumpled the paper up and threw it in the trash in frustration.

After about an hour of trying to figure out a topic, I gave up and returned to my room. I pulled out my old guitar and tuned it. I strummed a few chords and began to sing "New Romantics" by Taylor Swift. I then changed to "You are in love" by Taylor Swift. When I finished the second song, I heard clapping. I turned around to see Nolan in the doorway.

"How much of that did you hear?" I asked, hoping he didn't hear much of it

"A good amount." He smiled and joined me on my bed "I didn't know you played guitar."

"I learned years ago." I said and put the guitar back on its stand. "I don't play that often anymore."

"You're incredible." He paused. "Now that second song, did you mean it?"

I froze "I uh, um I uh" I paused "Fuck it, I love you" I admitted

Nolan remained silent for a minute or two and I started to panic. What if I made a mistake? He finally spoke.

"I love you too Reags"

I looked back up at him and our eyes met. We kissed for a second and went downstairs to join the rest of the team.

December 26th, 2017

It was around 7pm the day after Christmas when I got a text from my former coach. I was back in Pembroke Pines for the holiday break.

Coach Kampersal

Coach: are you with your family? I have a question for you guys

Yeah, do you want me to call?

Coach: Please

I got my family's attention as I called my old coach.

"Hey Gostisbeheres, so sorry to bother you this late, but our last center got injured and we would like Reagan to come back. She's an incredibly talented hockey player and we could use that on our team."

My eyes and mouth widened as I stared at the phone.

"I – uh – um – I I'd love to. The only problem is that I've already reestablished my home in Philly."

"Just keep it as an option, alright Reagan?"

"Alright Coach. I'll let you know soon. It was nice talking to you."

We said our goodbyes and I hung up the phone. I looked up to see the whole family staring at me. We sat in silence for a few minutes before Dad finally spoke.

"Do you have any idea what you're going to do?" He asked

"Yes..." I paused "I'm going to go upstairs and go to bed. I'll have my decision in the morning."

I went up to my room and immediately called one of my best friends, Amanda McLeod.

"Hey Reags. What's up?" She answered the phone

"Coach wants me coming back to State" I told her

She squealed in excitement. "That's amazing! When are you coming?"

"That's the thing... I don't know if I want to. I've already made a home in Philly. I don't know if I can abandon Shayne and my boyfriend like that."

"Come back to State Reagan. You've been looking for a team and Kamp's offering a spot. I don't see how you could turn this down."