Chapter 17

December 27th, 2017

As soon as I knew for sure that Nolan was 100 percent asleep, which was around 4pm, I got up and went downstairs to help my mom make dinner. I walked downstairs and was greeted by a trio of confused looks.

"Where's Nolan?" My mom asked

"He's fast asleep. I didn't wanna wake him up. He's such a Grinch when he's tired." I explained.

Shayne and my father nodded in understanding. I walked over to where my mother was, hovering over the stove.

"Go take a rest mom. I'll take care of the rest. And I'm sure Shayne would grill the meat for you guys." I offered to my parents, getting a glare from my brother

"That'd be great. Thank you Reagan." My mother said and joined the guys watching the football game

"Who's playing?" I asked, starting to get situated in the kitchen

"Florida State and Southern Miss" My dad said, his eyes not moving from the screen.

"Nice. But uhm, I don't know how I'm gonna tell Nolan about this."

"Just let him know straight t up Reags. Tell it like it is. You're always good at that."

I started making the mac n cheese when the doorbell rang. I looked at Shayne, who was starting to get things going on the grill, in confusion. He shrugged and continued getting his supplies. My dad got to answer the door, and greeted the people in a friendly manner. I heard five voices and instantly recognized them as the Patricks.

"Did you know about this?" I asked Shayne, who only smiled in response

"You're favorite sisters have arrived!" I heard Aimee yell

"Wait... where is he?" Maddie asked

"Guys, keep it down. He's asleep upstairs. Don't wake him up, he's a bitch when he just wakes up." I laughed and greeted the two sisters

"Well that's rude." I heard Nolan say as he came down the stairs. He turned to his family. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Since you didn't have time to come home for the holidays, Christine and Regis thought they'd bring home to you." Carrie said

I turned back to the pasta I was cooking and felt someone's arms around my waist and a head resting on my shoulder. I looked to see Nolan there, as tired as he could be.

"Babe, go back to bed, I'll wake you up when dinner's ready." I told him as I continued to stir the macaroni.

"No. I don't wanna miss spending time with you" He said and nuzzled his head into my neck

"Well at least go watch football with the family." I responded and he unhappily agreed.

I started to make the baked beans as my parents erupted in a loud cheer.

"What happened" I asked, not even moving my head

"39 yard field goal. 26-6" My father answered me.

I "wooed" in excitement, but I could feel the confusion of the Patricks.

"Uh, what's a field goal?" I heard Maddie ask

"It's a goal scored by a placekick, its worth three points if it's good." I explained

Our families continued to talk about the sport, with mostly my dad explaining it. A little while later, Shayne came in with the hotdogs and hamburgers. Carrie and my mother helped me set the table and dinner was ready.

"Dinner is ready" I announced at Shayne rang our dinner bell.

The families came into the room. Nolan kissed my cheek and whispered "Thank you"

I looked at him confused. "For what?"

He shook his head. I took a seat at one of the empty places and Nolan sat next to me. Everyone began to dig in.

"Do you know how late Felicia is going to be working tonight?" I asked my family

"I think she's working til midnight." Shayne said as he took a big bite of his hotdog.

"What does she do?" James asked

"She's a nurse." My father explained and James nodded.

After dinner, my mother and Carrie insisted on doing the dishes, and that the kids should spend some time with each other. The five of us decided to head to a public skating rink. Aimee and Maddie borrowed my old skates and Nolan borrowed a pair of Shayne's. The two girls were talking to Shayne about life in the NHL and playing defense, while I just rested my head against Nolan's shoulder on the way to the rink.

That night, the Patricks stayed at our house. The rest of the family was lounging on the couch when I turned to Nolan.

"Hey, we need to talk." I said and led him up to my room.

"What's up?" He asked as I closed the door

"I was offered another spot on the Penn State Women's Ice Hockey team." I said

"That's amazing! Congratulations!" He replied with a smile

"No Nolan, I don't think you understand. I'm going to be back on Main Campus, in State College." I explained

I saw his smile instantly go to a frown. He nodded in understanding.

"Look, I needed to put myself first for once. This is something I've been wanting to do ever since I left State. I love it there."

"How are you gonna tell the guys?" He asked

"I'll figure it out. It'll be fine." I said as I walked towards him.

"Will you miss me?" He asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Nolan are you crazy? Of course I'll miss you. I love you."

Before he could say anything else, I pressed my lips against his. He lifted me up and into his lap, while I ran my fingers through his hair.

"I love you" I repeated

"I love you too" He replied

s_ghost14: No babies yet you two @npatrick19 @r_ghost33

104.3k likes / 93 comments

r_ghost33: woah there bro, I'm 18. Not gonna happen anytime soon

npatrick19: It was just a cuddle

jorweal40: Hold up is Reagan cooking? Who trusted her with this?

r_ghost33: @jorweal40 I am a very good cook thank you very much

travis_konecny: you've burned WATER before @r_ghost33

sanheim17: ^ how do you even?

r_ghost33: @travis_konecny @sanheim17 IT WAS ONE TIME

npatrick19: @r_ghost33 well I thought your cooking was great

r_ghost33: @npatrick19 thanks babe, I'm glad someone appreciates me around here