Chapter Twelve

[Amanda]

 "Well, what are they waiting for?" Arcee's voice came through the communication link Ratchet had open on his monitor. The sound of her voice made my attention snap to the screen, noticing how there was an icon for each of the Autobots on it, as well as their location. That's bound to come in handy.

  After a pause, Optimus replied. "It appears the Decepticons have sustained serious damage to their interstellar navigation system."

  "Huh," Bulkhead spoke up. "That's my handiwork!"

  "Great job, Bulkhead." The lead Autobot said. "Without the dish, Megatron would be unable to aim the space bridge at Cybertron."

  "Don't the Decepticons know where their own planet is?" Raf asked, his question aimed at Ratchet.

  "Naturally," Ratchet scoffed as he looked down at us. "But Cybertron is many light years away. To reach their target, their aim must be astronomically precise."

  "If Megatron went to the trouble of rendezvousing with his space bridge," Optimus said. "He must have an alternate targeting system. A remote one."

  Ratchet shook his head, looking unimpressed. "From what I know of Earth's technology, I doubt there exists a single radio telescope dish on this planet powerful enough to pinpoint Cybertron."

  That made an idea pop into my mind. "What about a bunch of linked radio telescope dishes? Like the giant sized array in Texas?"

  Ratchet spun on me. "Shh! This is not child's play!"

  I was about to shoot a retort at him, when Optimus cut me off. "Good thinking, Amanda. Ratchet, have Agent Fowler alert the array staff to the security hazard."

  That shocked Ratchet, and I had to beat down a smirk because I knew it really wasn't time to gloat.

  "You, soldier!" Agent Fowler suddenly yelled, his words slurring together, and we all turned to see him mid-hallucination. "You're outta uniform! Put on some pants!"

  We all exchanged challenged looks, and I could tell Miko was trying her hardest not to laugh.

  "That may be a problem," Ratchet finally said.

  Raf spun around and started typing rapidly on the computer behind him before slamming his fist down. "I can't get past the array's firewalls. They're too thick!"

  "You actually think you could keep the Decepticons out?" Ratchet said, sounding snide again.

  "Maybe," Raf stood his ground. "If I could get in."

  Jack stepped forward. "Wait, wait, wait, Raf. What if we could get you all the way in? Like 'inside the building' in?"

  Raf perked up. "I could log into their intern network on the other side of the firewall!"

  "The risk is too great," Optimus declared. "The Decepticons will be there, perhaps even on sight."

  Everyone looked at me, waiting for me to convince the lead Autobot otherwise. Holding back a sigh, I gave it my best shot.

  "Optimus, with all due respect, you said it yourself," I said. "This is bigger than the safety of four humans."

  "Yeah!" Miko piped up, and I was glad for the support. "If we let the 'Cons win, we're fried, along with everyone else on our planet."

  "We have to try Optimus," I continued. "This isn't about us anymore. It's about the world."

  There was a long pause before the lead Autobot spoke again. "Raf?"