Chapter Twenty-Three

[Miko]

  "Basketball, by way of Cybertron!" I exclaimed, blowing the whistle I had brought with me to the base. After watching a game of basketball at home last night, I got the brilliant idea to teach it to the Autobots and to get them to play a game. Only Bulkhead and Bumblebee agreed to play, since the others are too serious and can't loosen up. Amanda, Jack, and Raf were sitting up on a nearby ledge while I stood at the top of the platform.

  "Let the games begin!" I announced as Bumblebee spun the 'basketball' (which was really a lob ball but same difference) on a finger before shooting it at the net we crafted. Bulkhead jumped up to grab the ball and spun around before throwing the ball into the basket.

  "Yeah!" I cheered. "Go Bulk!"

  Bulkhead grabbed the ball and turned to Bee. "Come on. Best two out of three." He passed the ball to Bee, who grabbed it and dodged right past Bulkhead.

  "Bee, you're in the clear!" Raf cheered as Bumblebee raced to the net, stopping right before it. "Dunk it, Bee!"

  But the scout didn't move, just stared at the net, ball in his hands.

  "Bumblebee," Bulkhead called after a moment. "Quit hogging the ball."

  The scout replied by whipping the ball at Bulk's head, who ducked out of the way. I blew the whistle.

  "Foul!" I yelled.

  "Dodgeball by the way of Cybertron," Jack commented, but Raf looked a bit concerned.

  "Bee?" The younger boy asked. "You okay?" Bumblebee buzzed something in reply. "Right. Three out of five."

[Raf]

  I stood outside my house, waiting for Bumblebee to show up to drive me to school. My parents already left for work, and my siblings all left too, so there wasn't anyone around to drive me. But Bee was almost half an hour late. Sighing, I figured he probably wasn't coming, so I pulled out my phone and dialed someone I knew would have my back.

  "Raf? Give me a sec." Amanda asked, picking up after two rings. "Mr. Deleveny, could I use the bathroom? Thanks-" A pause before, "Where are you, Raf? Class already started."

  "I know," I said. "Bumblebee never picked me up for school and his comlink's off again. Any idea where he is?"

  "Not at all," She said, sounding confused. "I know the bots haven't gone on any missions because Optimus usually lets me know. You're sure his comm's off again?"

  I double checked before answering. "Yeah, I just tried it."

  "Alright, I'm sending a car." She said, her tone going serious. "When my Mustang pulls up, climb inside within two minutes of its arrival and text me once you're inside. Then I call it to the school. Give it five minutes max. Sound good?"

  "Yeah," I said, disappointment in my tone. "Thanks, Amanda."

  "Anytime." She hung up.

  Tucking my phone away, I dropped my gaze to the ground. I was hoping she would know where Bee was, since Optimus told her every time they had to deal with something, but her not knowing just reinforced the fact that Bee forgot about me. And here I thought he'd be the only one to really listen to me.

  They're all the same, aren't they? They always pretend to listen and then forget you the moment you leave.

  No. Bee is not like that.

  I heard the rev of an engine and for a split second thought it was Bumblebee, but a fully black Mustang pulled up instead. Sighing, I climbed in and texted Amanda, before the car drove itself to school.