Chapter Eighteen

[Amanda]

  "In all likelihood, Starscream will use the harvester to gather as much energon as quickly as he can from the planet's otherwise unmineable energon deposits." Optimus explained when we were back at the base. I was still trying to contact Agent Fowler, hoping he would be able to get Miko out of the situation she was currently stuck in, with no luck.

  "Approach with extreme caution," The lead Autobot continued as Bumblebee and Arcee were ground bridged to two different unmineable energon deposits. "Starscream will not hesitate to turn the harvester on any one of us."

  Just as Bulkhead stepped up to be ground bridged, Optimus turned to him. "Bulkhead, it is best that you remain here."

  "So I can bust Miko out of the museum?" The wrecker asked hopefully.

  "So you can help Ratchet," The Prime corrected. "You may be Miko's guardian, but she requires human assistance. Agent Fowler still remains her best option."

  Bulkhead gave Optimus a shocked look, but the Prime just walked past him, transformed, and disappeared through the ground bridge. Bulkhead looked at me expectantly.

  "Still no answer," I said, waving my phone at him.

  "Fowler's probably lounging around some poolside cabana." Bulkhead growled before smashing one of Ratchet's tools, causing Jack to jump.

  "Bulkhead! I needed that!" The medic exclaimed.

  "We can free Miko if we just return the harvester to the museum," Bulkhead continued, ignoring Ratchet's complaints.

  "So the Decepticons can steal it all over again?" Ratchet asked accusingly.

  The wrecker paused for a moment, probably trying to think of another idea, before clutching his head. "I am so dumb!"

  "So, how are we going to help Miko?" Jack jumped in before Bulkhead to break anything else.

  Ratchet held up whatever he was working on. "By returning this replica to the museum. The construction of which would be going a whole lot faster if Bulkhead hadn't just magled my frame welder!"

  "We're already trespassers and thieves," Jack sighed. "Why not add forgery to the list?"

  I threw him a grin. "Hey, at least you can say it was for a good cause."

  Bulkhead was still distressed though. "I wish I'd never taken Miko to the-" He paused, an idea dawning on him. "The painting of the harvester wasn't the only thing we found at those ruins!"

  "I'm sorry?" Ratchet asked.

  "Starscream's not dumb," The wrecker said. "No matter what kind of tool he has, he's gonna take the easy route. Ratchet, I need you to bridge me to those ruins from before, now!"

~~

[Miko]

  "And then, of course, there's the whole principle of the Deus ex Machina," I explained to the yawning security guard. "The god from the machine. It's that part in Greek storytelling where some character show up out of the blue to make everything right."

  The guard controlled his yawn this time and gave me a sour look, probably because I had been talking all night about the Greeks. "That so, young lady? Well, I'm sure the police will want to hear all about your history report."

  I swallowed hard, hoping that the Autobots had found some way, any way, to get me out of this because I was seriously out of facts. Just then, someone pounded on the door and swung it open. The person on the other side was someone I'd never been so happy to see.