Chapter Eleven

After giving the little boy some of my delicious snacks, he went home alone. I insisted that I take him there, but he said that his house was around the block, and he was a big guy, so I let him go. I felt like a big mama who could not trust her son to walk on the streets alone. I got that paranoid feeling from my brothers; they used to do that whenever I went to the mini-market next to our home. So, I'm innocent.

"That was so sweet of you, you know, Lexi?" With a heart-melting smile, Holden pointed out when I walked through the living room. Unfortunately, I instantly was squashed between Theo and Arlo on the couch. It was not my choice to sit there; I wanted to sit on the empty seat next to Jude, but no... My brothers had to butt in and drag me to sit with them. Curse their protectiveness.

"I love and adore kids, and I hate it when they cry. It makes me feel bad, especially when they get slapped by a total jerk," I replied with a pissed-off tone, not caring that I was not alone. "On second thought, maybe I should use the scissors that I used on my teacher. Yeah, that would be a good idea," I thought aloud and attempted to stand up and complete the mission, but a hand was wrapped around my waist, which prevented me from standing.

"No, you won't," Arlo disagreed, then slapped the back of my head playfully. He smirked at me, and I rolled my eyes.

"Hey," I yelled, then punched his shoulder: harder than I intended to because he winced in pain. Wait... I was not strong at all. "Let me see your shoulder!" I ordered, already lifting his shirt from the side. I was rushing like I was being chased by a mad dog. He quickly grabbed my hand and stopped me.

"No need," he replied with a tight smile. I grinned and looked at Theo, waiting for something good to happen. His eyes were daring me to do anything.

"Hold him," I ordered, and Theo jumped from the couch and caged Arlo's hands with his. No need to tell him twice when it comes to wrestling his brothers.

"No, let go, Theo. I'll make a hole in that brain of yours and fill it with lemons so it can sting you so hard!" Arlo shouted his funny threat, kind of panicking, and I huffed.

"That's if he had a brain," I sassed, and Theo snapped his head and looked at me with disbelief. What? I couldn't let a funny comeback slide under my nose that easily. Sorry, sir.

"Whose side are you on?" he asked in an ′are you serious′ tone, and I laughed.

"Oh, we have sides now?" I asked while acting surprised. "Let's just see why he did wince." I shrugged off and began lifting his shirt. Arlo was defeated and could not move at all. Milo and Holden stood in front of us, waiting for the show.

When Arlo's shoulder was in my full view, I gasped. He had a big black-to-blue bruise that started from his shoulder and ended at the back of his neck. "Arlo, what is this?" I asked, feeling anxious.

"This is a bruise," he replied with a smirk.

"No shit! How did you get it? Was it from your previous fight with Adam, Roni, or whatever?" I countered. I was getting angrier until Jude decided to speak.

"Oh, yeah, he got it when he was tackled to the ground by Adam. Before Arlo could even punch him," he stated, and I snapped my head to him. I narrowed my eyes, then stood up. I walked toward him like a predator who was about to pounce on his terrified prey.

"Jude... Why. Are. You. Still. Breathing?" I asked with a sheepish smile, but my tone was laced with total fury. I probably looked like a maniac, but I did not care.

Jude rubbed the back of his neck; nervousness was evident in his blue eyes. "Because God didn't kill me yet?" he replied. He thought that he was an intelligent clown.

"And what was wrong with that horrifying phone call? At least explain more about what was happening and answer your damn phone next time. You own a phone for a reason, and it was to answer the freaking incoming calls!" I yelled at him, walking closer and closer to him until Arlo stopped me when he said his following words.

"I told him not to answer his incoming calls because you'd ask millions of questions until you got here. No biggie, little sis," he clarified, then made Theo move. "Besides, I just need ice since ice fixes almost everything. All is good," he added.

Milo shook his head. "No, it's not good because you work at a garage. How are you supposed to do the heavy lifting with an injury like that?" he asked.

"Guys, don't make a big deal out of it. I'll manage, plus I don't have to go to work until next week because my boss will visit his parents in Venezuela. So, it will heal until next week," Arlo replied, then we all sat back like we were sitting before I lifted his shirt.

"What a day!" I sighed, then looked at the ceiling. I expected to see a clean white top, but I saw a frying pan stuck on the ceiling... How? I mean... How!

"Um, guys," I said, then pointed my finger to the ceiling. "How in the world did you manage to do that to the frying pan?" The boys looked up, then they chuckled.

"That's from this morning before you arrived," Milo replied with a smile. What a smile?

"Like I said... how?" I asked again, feeling impatient.

"Well... It was burning, and the flames were getting higher and higher until I panicked, so I threw it up, and it got stuck. I didn't actually believe it at first, but the boys were there and witnessed it happen. Right?" Theo explained.

"Yes," they all replied, and I burst out laughing. I slapped Theo's back, then continued laughing my heart out.

"I mean, I knew you were clumsy... But not this clumsy. It's even worse than my incident," I remarked after calming down.

"What did you do?" Arlo asked, then narrowed his eyes at me. I looked at him and smiled innocently.

"You remember the red vase placed in the living room that mom adored so much?" I asked. They nodded. "Well, I broke it," I stated, and their eyes widened.

"You did what?" Milo asked in disbelief.

"I broke it. I bumped into it while I was running from an angry fat cat chasing me for no reason," I replied. "Anyway, guys, I will see you all tomorrow. And, Milo, when will I start my classes?" I asked.

"The day after tomorrow — on Monday."