Chapter Twenty Nine

As I was about to reach the peak of my dream, I fell from the high mountain called a bed in reality. I groaned and opened my eyes slowly because I did not want to be blinded by the morning light, except I saw no light. I saw many figures standing above me with grins and smiles. I arched my eyebrows in confusion and rubbed my blurry vision.

I looked up again and sighed when I saw my annoying family and friends in front of me. "What do you want? It's seven in the freaking morning!" I stood up and glared at all of them, but they just smiled like psychos. They gave each other a glance and then looked at me.

"Happy birthday!" they yelled at the top of their lungs, and I jumped in surprise. "We love you!" they added, and I instantly looked at Jude to see him with a warm smile on his face, and his blue eyes were calm. Why did I look at him first? I guess gravity pulled my eyes toward him; that must be it.

I put my palms on my heart and cooed. "Thank you, guys, so much. I love you too but couldn't you, just maybe, do it when it's not seven?" I asked in a playful tone, and they laughed and hit me with pillows. I ran to the bathroom and locked the door. "I will be out in half an hour or so, and pray that I don't fall asleep on the sink while brushing my teeth," I called and heard chuckles and multiple okays. Finally, some alone time!

~~~

I came out of the bathroom hoping to find no one in Arlo and I's room, but my luck sucked... that is if I had any. I found Jess, Lee, Alice, and Mom all sitting on my bed with different dresses in their hands. I raised my eyebrows, crossed my arms over the towel covering my body, and waited for one of them to talk. "Hey, sweetie, so, since it's your birthday today and we love you and all, we decided to give you dresses that would suit you. Now, wear them," mom explained, and I gaped at her.

"Mom, there are more than ten dresses here. You want me to try them all?!" I pointed it out, and the girls nodded. Just my luck.

I sighed, grabbed all the dresses, and went to the bathroom. "Just leave the emerald dress to the end," I heard Jess say, and I locked the door again. I looked at the dresses and smiled. They were lovely and totally my style, I guess.

I grabbed a black one and tried it on, then looked at myself in the mirror and grinned. It looked nice on my body. I opened the door, stood in front of the girls, and waited for their reaction. "Oh my God!" Jess said and put her hands on her mouth in awe. "It's wonderful," she added, and the rest agreed. I went back to the bathroom and tried the rest of the dresses until I got to the emerald one. I raised it and looked at it, admiring its color. It kinda looked like my eyes' color. I see now why this was for the end. I put it on and went out of the bathroom to see them holding their hands in anticipation.

"What do you think?" I asked and waited. Mom ran to me and hugged me like I had just returned from the war. "Mom, okay, I'm dying here!" I said so she could let go of my poor body screaming at me to save it.

"Right, sorry. My daughter is finally seventeen. You look beautiful, dashing, and drop-dead gorgeous." She kissed my cheeks and pinched them, which really hurt.

"You look so cute and pretty. The boys do have a taste," Alice commented, and I was confused. The boys? The boys are back, the boys are back- focus, Lexi.

"What do you mean?" I asked as I put on the elegant high heels Lee handed me.

"Oh, this dress was chosen by your brothers and Jude and Holden. Although Jude insisted on the color, he said it makes your eyes pop," Lee explained while wiggling her eyebrows, and I blushed. What? Why would he say that? And how is he still alive after what he said... to my brothers!?

"I think he has a thing for you, and clearly, he's brave to say that to your idiots of brothers," mom exclaimed, then clapped her hands in excitement. I blushed more and looked at myself in the mirror with the new height. I liked how I looked.

"Now for the makeup," Jess said, and my eyes widened.

"What? No! Why?" I put my arms out as a shield for my face. I don't have anything against makeup, but the hassle is when I remove it after.

"Lexi, it's your birthday. Just for today, and keep the dress on," Jess begged, and I narrowed my eyes at her. "Please!" she whined.

"What are you planning? Because I know something is going on here, and I don't like not knowing," I declared and waited for a reasonable answer.

"We would like to take you to a restaurant to have dinner. Your makeup might take a while to finish, and the girls will dress up too, so by that time, it will be dinner time," mom replied. I guess there's no escape. I love that movie, by the way.

"Fine," I sighed.

~~~

As time went by, we were all ready to go. All day and I did not get out of the room. I tried, but the girls would just push me back inside and bring me whatever I needed. Every time I asked why I could not go outside, they would say, and I quote: You are the birthday girl — no need to move. I appreciated their help and all, but I felt numb just sitting on the chair all day long without moving a muscle.

"Okay, Lexi, you look stunning!" Mom entered the room once again, looking as glorious as ever. She was wearing a red dress that reached her knees, and her hair was up in a ponytail. My hair was down and had light curls.

"Thanks, mom," I said with a bright smile. I was so ready to finally move and get out of this room. "Let's go, come on." I ushered for them to follow, and as soon as Lee opened the door for me, a loud blast was heard from the dorm.

I covered my ears and looked at what was happening. I was shocked to see my brothers, Jude, Holden, Danny, Zach, Gavin, and Sandy – the one who was abused by her ex in the diner — I even saw Blake, the diner owner, her daughter Mera and her nurse of a husband. I was so surprised to see them all standing around a table filled with wrapped presents and stuffed animals.

They all looked happy and ready to party. The decorations in the dorm were terrific and colorful. I was so overwhelmed that I did not know what to say. Milo approached me and gave me a big bear hug. I sighed in contentment, then looked at all the good friends again. "Guys, I really don't know what to say except... you're welcome." As I said those wrong words, the song 'You're Welcome' was on. We all laughed and looked at Theo, who was currently the DJ. "Well played, brother, and I meant to say thank you," I shouted through the music, and everyone hugged me and said happy birthday. Even Jude. He hugged me the longest if I might add, and my brothers were not thrilled; however, they let it slip since it was my birthday.

"Happy birthday, Lex. You look beautiful. I knew the emerald would suit you." He whispered near my ear so my brothers would not chop his head off. They would not tolerate that much. My cheeks turned red, and I smiled.

"T-thank you so much. I love it," I replied, then looked at my brothers, who were all busy talking to the others, so I took that as a chance and kissed Jude's cheek. He looked surprised by my action, yet he smiled and let go of me. Why did I do that?

Before he could comment on what just happened, I walked over to little Mera and her mom, Blake. When they saw me coming, Mera hugged my legs and threw me the most dazzling smile ever. "Happy birthday, Lexi," she said, and I picked her up and kissed her forehead.

"Thanks, and I'm so happy you are here. I just knew about this party. They were sneaky," I chuckled, and Blake hugged me sideways because I was still holding Mera.

"You look beautiful, and we knew about this for about two days," Blake admitted, and I nodded. As time passed and we ate, it was time to open the presents. When I wanted to open the first present, which was from Sandy — who became Danny's girlfriend — we heard a knock on the door.

"I'll go get it," I said, then ran to the front door. Everyone went silent as soon as I opened the door. My eyes widened, and my head had millions of thoughts about why was he there. I took a deep breath and looked him in the eyes.

"Dad?"