Chapter Forty

I woke up with a heavy ache in my head like a hangover, but I never drank, so I just imagined that it would be the same kind of headache my brothers say they get when they wake up after a long night of drinking. I guessed I was drunk, but not on alcohol. I was drunk on last night's events and my past. You overthink, Lexi.

The memories of Edmund beating me up kept replaying in my head like an old black and white film. I could not forget those awful moments that turned into years of torture. They told me it was a gift that I had an extraordinary memory, but it was a curse. I could not forget even if I desperately wanted to. I grabbed my head with my palms and whimpered in pain. The pain was too much that I could not feel my limbs. Seconds later, I felt a body moving, so I quickly turned my back to the other side and saw Jude with a worried expression on his face. "It's okay. You are safe now," he whispered and hugged me tightly. He nuzzled his nose in the crook of my neck, and I felt safe again.

For a moment, I forgot what Jude was doing in my bed, but then I remembered that I was in his room. I fell asleep after he confessed that he loved me, without me replying to him. Suddenly, I felt my face warm up just at the thought of any boy loving me, let alone Jude. The guy that I loved in return. It felt like I was in a movie or a romantic book because these scenes were only fictional.

A girl to love a boy and the boy loves her back was just out of the question, at least in my world. But, it did happen. To me. To us. I sat properly on the bed and faced him with a soft smile. "I love you," I said confidently and without hesitation. I did not say it because I felt obligated to do it. I said it because those were my genuine emotions, and it took me a while to realize those strange feelings. I was new to all of this, yet I felt happy. Jude's eyes widened for a second, then he gave me a genuine smile, which had made me fall in love with him in the first place. "I really do. I'm sorry. I fell asleep before I could say anything," I added, with a slight blush. Man up, Lexi!

He chuckled, then cupped my cheeks with his warm hands. "You just made this morning the best morning in my entire life. I'm glad I got to hear those words from you while you are conscious," he said with a grin, and I arched my eyebrow at his last words.

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion, and he just laughed at me. Now, I feel lost.

"Right after you fell asleep, I stayed up for a little while longer to ensure that you didn't have any nightmares, but I was so surprised when you muttered, 'Jude, I love you.' It was so cute, and I was delighted to the point of grabbing my hand with the other hand to restrain it from waking you up and showering you with kisses. I love you, Lexi. You are still seventeen, but I hope I can be your boyfriend! We will not do anything inappropriate until we get married, though. I want to cherish you for the rest of my life."

Were we going too fast?

After a moment of silence, I smiled and kissed his cheek. "Of course, and good thing you said we could do all those things after marriage because I am not ready yet. I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with you." I replied, and he brought me closer for a kiss on the lips. That kiss was so gentle; that I forgot I needed to breathe. "And we can't let my brothers know yet, not now at least. Let's wait until it's all cleared up about Edmund the jerk. Then we will tell them officially. What do you say?" I suggested, then waited for his reply.

He nodded. "I like that, yes," he agreed, and we both got up from the bed. "I guess you need to get back now because my phone and your phone are blowing up with calls and messages from your dear brothers," he pointed out as he held his phone and my phone. I laughed, and we went out of his room to our dorm.

~~~

"So... everything's good now?" Milo asked us as we all sat around each other on the floor. They did not ask anything when we entered because they did not want to make their lovely sister angry first thing in the morning, and they were wise by making that choice. To wait. They waited for questions after we ate and went to our classes and jobs. When I said we all sat on the floor, I meant everyone: Jess, Latoya, Alice, Holden, my brothers, Jude and Zach. I decided that they should know the truth as well. I trusted them.

"Yes, after last night, I felt like the pressure loosened its grip on me, and when I told all of you guys, I felt like I could breathe again. Thank you for hearing me out," I said, as I smiled at all of them. They were my friends, and I loved them.

Jess suddenly slammed her fist on Holden's thigh, and we jumped from the sudden action. "I just can't believe someone would stoop so low and do that to a human being. When I see him, I will kill him! Mark my words," she exclaimed angrily, and I smiled sadly at her. I understood her anger because if that happened to any one of them or anyone in general besides me, I would freak out. I would do anything to protect them, and, as they said, the sky was the limit, and I had no limits for protecting the people I loved the most.

Holden cleared his throat, and we looked at him. "I get that you are angry and all, in fact, all of us are, but... why did you hit me? What did I do wrong, babe?" poor Holden asked as he rubbed his throbbing thigh, and we all laughed our hearts out. She was a karate master, after all.

Jess's face softened, and she placed her palm on his cheek. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hit you. I just wanted to hit something, and that something happened to be your 'very close to me' thigh. I'm truly sorry, baby!" she reasoned, then apologized with sincerity in her eyes. Her violent act made the mood lighter, and it made me happier. I loved them and wondered how my life was before I met them. It was hard to imagine a life where I did not know any of these incredible people. Before they came into my life, everything was black and white, but now all I see are colors.

"We should call mom and dad and fill them in," Theo said, and I agreed. I just hoped that mom would not freak out. Who am I kidding? She will.