CHAPTER I - MADAME IRÈNE (pt 1)

"People are strange when you're a stranger"

People Are Strange – The Best of the Doors  The Doors

As the summer solstice approached, the entire household was in an uproar. For the warm season, as they do every year, Monsieur Antoine and Madame Marguerite deserted their city mansion to come with their children to the countryside.

I was the newest addition to the household staff, hired to be young Master Victor's and Mademoiselle Anastasia's governess. I was to watch over them and educate them in the art of foreign languages, history, science, writing and reading. As the domestics busied themselves making the villa suitable for the family's arrival, I waited nervously in the wide entrance hall. Although I had had a brief meeting with Monsieur Antoine in the spring, I didn't know what to expect from Madame and the youngsters and all the kitchen gossip I had gathered in the last days was confusing. The cook said Madame Marguerite was expecting. "Bearing a child makes Madame irritable," she confided, "so try not to upset her or she'll complain about my good cuisine!" As to the children's characters, the accounts were contradictory. The cook swore young Master Victor was mean while the stablekeeper said he had never seen a kinder lad. One of the maids claimed Anastasia was a sweet child whilst the gardener whispered she was queer. Although I knew I should wait and see, I anticipated and feared them all, especially Madame Marguerite, because I knew that however rude or strange the children may be, I would grow very fond of them. The same may not be true about the mistress.

The family arrived at noon. Monsieur's butler hopped from a vehicle and opened the door. Steps unfolded mechanically, and Monsieur Antoine climbed down with a distinguished air, wiped a fleck of dust from his waistcoat with the back of his hand, then turned around to help Madame Marguerite out. My first impression was that it must be risky to wear such heels at the end of pregnancy. The next thought was that their marriage had been motivated by pecuniary advantages rather than less material considerations.

A midwife climbed out of another vehicle before shepherding the children out. Master Victor was about eleven years old. He had a profile that put one in mind of an indoor lifestyle. His eyes were pale and his blond hair fell down to his shoulders, something that stroke me as out-of-fashion. He smiled broadly as he set foot on the gravel and turned around to take his sister in his arms. Mademoiselle Anastasia had wavy black hair as long as a child can have them at two. Her eyes were sparkling and appeared to be more orange than brown. She grinned broadly as she swung in her brother's arms. He set her down and held her hand as they came up the steps.

Every domestic was in front of the house to greet the family. Madame Marguerite proceeded up the stairs, her high heels tapping loudly on the marble steps. She reached the top of the stairs and looked me up and down.

"Is she the one?" she asked rather disdainfully. After an affirmative nod from her husband, she added: "she seems rather young."

"She will be up to the task," Monsieur Antoine answered softly.

"And if she isn't?"

"The Congregation will be more than happy to take her off our hands, Marguerite, and they will be more than pleased to oblige us with another."

Madame Marguerite appeared satisfied and entered the villa. She complained about the damp air and the tarnished candelabras in the Hall. Monsieur Antoine smiled and shrugged before entering the house. The Young Master helped his sister over the threshold. The midwife entered the house and gestured for me to follow her as the whole assembly broke apart to return to their respective duties.

Madame Marguerite was already in her rooms ordering some tea as she whined and grumbled. I stood, stunned by her rudeness, until the midwife directed me to go get the tea.