CHAPTER V - MADAME MARGUERITE LEAVES

"Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven
Will it be the same
If I saw you in heaven"

Tears in Heaven – Unplugged  - Eric Clapton

The lady of the house walked out and climbed in her carriage, ordering it downtown. The matched horses set off swiftly leaving a wake of dust behind. The handsome lady did not realize she was being skilfully followed. She went into a tea-shop to buy her preferred brand of tea and sweets for Victor – she liked to reward him for his school work. Then, she went to a doll shop where she took a long time. Should she take the blond porcelain doll, the dark one, the one with the red dress?

Finally, she purchased a doll with long curly brown hair, blue eyes and a red dress. She felt sure it was the right one. As she walked out of the shop, a crow fluttered by to land atop a mailbox. Fascinated by the dark bird, she looked and did not hide her amazement – she had never seen one so close. She thought the bird returned her curiosity and looked at her. The bird was in fact looking over her shoulder.

The lady did not notice that her carriage wasn't waiting for her. The bird flew to the windowsill of the apartment over the little shop the lady had just exited. She stared up at the perfect colour and shade in the creature's feathers. As she looked up, her hat fell to the ground. She didn't notice and if she had, she would have left it there – she wouldn't put it back on now that it had rolled in the dusty street.

But her discreet stalker could not have known that. No, in fact, he could have known, but he wasn't paying attention to the lady's thoughts. He was praying in the shadows of a nearby tree behind her. He was thinking of the lady, hoping he wouldn't be burnt by the Phoebus' glare.

He noticed the dark bird. For some odd reason of his own, he smiled and whispered "I knew you'd come." Then, he noticed the fallen hat. The time had come. The man in the shadows lowered his own broad rimmed hat in order to shade his face. He pulled on gloves, straightened his waistcoat and his frock coat and strolled out of the shadows. He picked up the fallen hat.

"Madame, you seem to have dropped this," he told her politely.

She turned around and took the hat, smiling at the thoughtful young gentleman. "I thank you, Monsieur! Few are those who bother to assist others nowadays," she said dusting her hat with her gloved hands.

"It is a pleasure, Marguerite," he said bowing respectfully. She stared.

"Do forgive my rudeness, sir, but have we met?" It was meant as an apology, but her voice was cool. She had so many acquaintances. Most of them she wanted to know and half of those she forgot about – but not so many who were intimate enough to call her by name.

"Oh, it is nothing, Madame," he answered politely, "it has been so long since last we met."

"Who are you?" asked the lady, hoping she didn't sound too rude.

"You have read about me, you have often talked to me in your childhood prayers, Marguerite, do you remember when you begged me to heal your cousin of that terrible seizure? When you asked my permission to talk with your diseased great-grandfather? Do you remember these prayers?" he asked.

She couldn't believe her ears. How did he know? No one had ever known that when she was a little girl, she used to kneel by the window and pray to her guardian angel. Every night she prayed. How could he know the content of her prayers?

"You believed in me, Marguerite. And I listened, because you believed. You really did – and all your confidences and your trust lay with me. Do you know who I am?"