CHAPTER X - MARYANN'S REQUEST

"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there"

Drive – Make Yourself - Incubus

I stood in the doorway, stunned as I always was, before her beauty. Oh, how her hair glittered with the rainbow colours in the light. She was laughing at me again. But it wasn't mean – she simply couldn't believe that I still hadn't gotten over it – "it" being her beauty. And I couldn't explain to her how everything was lovelier now that my eyes had lost their curtain of sorrow.

Azym appeared from the staircase up the White Tower. He stood beside me – but I don't know what he was doing: I had eyes only for my beautiful Dalila. I heard an audible gasp behind me as Maryann finished climbing the stairs and looked around her in amazement. She took my arm to steady herself as she panted. She stared at Dalila, he mouth slightly opened in awe.

"Lusaka – is this Heaven?" she whispered in my ear – she was on tiptoes.

"We are still earthbound here, dear," I answered, amused.

"Oh!"

Maryann was clutching my hand tightly as she always did when she was nervous. I smiled down at her, and she slowly let go of my arm to wander around.

"Brother, you deny me my kiss?" asked Dalila smiling.

"I wouldn't dare!" I said strolling forward opening my arms to her.

I kissed her soft lips and backed away. There was something different about her. There was something else – I saw the world differently, but she had changed as well. Dalila grinned and her eyes twinkled with a joy I could not possibly mistake.

"Could this be?" I asked her, bemused as she laughed for no reason. "You –of all people – Lila, in love?"

"Don't be jealous now!" she said beaming, "I know you'll approve of him."

"Bring forth the scabbed bastard that I might show him a piece of my mind about how he treats my sis'!" I said loudly.

"I'm here mate!" said Azym from behind me.

I turned around and stared at him disbelievingly. Maryann muffled a snort – she knew. I gaped at Azym as he walked to my beloved sister and wrapped his arms tightly around her precious waist. He kissed her neck.

"Beware," I whispered to Dalila, "Maryann died in a similar embrace."

"Oh, but Azym wouldn't dare, would you, love?" asked Lila.

"I tried."

"Ah, so you did – but you can't kill me," said Lila smiling.

There was a silence filled with the remotely disgusting smooch of the passionate kiss my sister was exchanging with her lover. I clicked my fingers and furniture appeared. On the small table there was a bowl of grapes.

I heard Maryann sigh. I turned to look at her. Dalila and Azym broke apart to stare at her too. Dalila glanced at me.

"Lila," I said strolling forward to take Maryann's hand and leading her forward, "this is Maryann. Maryann, this is Lila, my sister."

Maryann managed a small bow, but she couldn't quite take her eyes off Dalila. She simply couldn't believe it. Azym strolled away from Dalila and went to one of the glassless window. He stared up at the sky as if looking for something none of us could see. As Azym walked away from Lila, her wings appeared, wide and with feathers with faint glimmers of pink, blue and yellow. Maryann backed away in surprise. I tightened my grip on her hand to soothe her. She tiptoed to my ear and whispered: