CHAPTER I - MADAME IRÈNE (pt 2)

I was the first one to hold the newborn in my arms. But the pleasure was quickly taken away from me as Madame Noémie seized the child, cleaned her, wrapped the baby in swaddling clothes and gave her to her mother.

"This infant is of noble birth," said Madame Noémie to Madame Marguerite.

Madame Marguerite admired the soft complexion of her child with a smile. Then she handed her back to the midwife and drowsed on her pillows.

"Fetch..."

"Your husband?" prompted Noémie. "Irène, would you—

—Nay, Anastasia," said Madame Marguerite.

"Pardon?" exclaimed Madame Noémie in surprise.

"Anastasia," repeated Madame Marguerite with conviction, "it is her birthday. She can name her sister."

I hurried out of the room. I almost ran headlong in Monsieur Antoine who was nervously pacing the hall, waiting to be allowed in the chambers within.

"It's a girl, Sir," I told him smiling with a slight bow, "you may go in."

Master Victor was with Mademoiselle Anastasia when I entered the room. I wondered briefly how long I had been away. Victor had helped his sister into a fresh gown. They were both playing calmly on the bed with wooden figurines. Both of them looked at me as though I was an alien as I walked in. I realized my dress was stained and my hair was a mess. I chose to ignore it and walked forward. Anastasia's eyes were fixed on bloodstains.

"Mademoiselle Anastasia, your mother asks for you," I said, "Master Victor, you have a second sister and I am sure you are more than welcome to come and see her."

Both of them stared at each other in awe. Then, Victor took Anastasia in his arms and they hurried out of the room. "I told you so! Told you we would have a sister!" the little girl was scraming in ecstasy. I listened as the racket they made faded away before going in my room to change and running down to the kitchen to fetch food for Madame Marguerite. I felt sure she was hungry – I was.

That day was an important day. I was starting a new life, filled with challenges and surprises. Mademoiselle Anastasia had received for her birthday a beautiful sister. She named her Elsie after her favourite doll. I somehow felt that Elsie was not the only one to have been born that day. Master Victor was born to his family at last. That day, he understood that his stepmother did not dislike him but merely felt nervous around him because she did not want to rule his mother out of his heart, but she wanted to be there for the boy. I no longer needed to know how Dame Éléonore had left this world. The family was happy. Monsieur Antoine saw his family become one and that night, in the village, the feast of the summer solstice was magnificent.

Bonfires were lit every twenty feet or so. Hares and boars were roasting on the wild flames. Girls ran wildly scattering ribbons. The boys who picked them up were granted a dance. The band was merry, wild and rustic. Monsieur Antoine insisted I must take part in the festivities and I was given ribbons. I danced with many faceless men, but I tried not to drop my ribbons too often. Nevertheless, mead flowed abundantly and crowns of wild flowers were given to all to wear. I thought it a very pleasurable evening, but I couldn't help thinking that the Sisters who had brought me up would undoubtedly call it sin.

The next morning, Madame Marguerite insisted that Master Victor join them for breakfast. Madame Noémie was with us too, sitting slightly withdrawn from the table with Elsie in her arms or in a cradle near her. One week after my arrival, I couldn't imagine how life would be should I ever be parted from the children. I felt I was a member of the family.