CHAPTER XVI - GRAVEYARDS

"I wanted freedom
Bound and restricted
I tried to give you up
But I'm addicted"

Time is Running Out – Absolution - Muse

I received a letter from my sister, announcing that her father had passed away in the night. I sighed as I rolled back the parchment and scribbled a polite answer of my deep sorrow and sympathy, promising Myrrha and I would come for her grandfather's funeral.

Monsieur Antoine deRhones was to be buried between his late wife and his daughter Anastasia – for there had been a burial with an empty coffin — in an old cemetery. Poor Elsie was now on her own. She told me in her letter she go live with Victor and Lydia.

I dressed in black as the mourning rules dictated and made my way to my daughter's room. I knocked at her door.

"Who is it?" she called.

"Your father, may I enter?"

"I am not dressed. Go away!"

"Hide behind a shade, I have grave news," I said.

"You may enter," said Myrrha and I walked in.

Myrrha was being helped into a frock by her maid behind a fancy wooden shade. I smiled at the maid as I entered.

"There will be no need for that dress today," I told her. "Please call the dresser; tell him I need him here at his earliest convenience. Miss of W. and I will be leaving today and I need dresses for her. Tell him to bring his mourning attire; it might fit Myrrha or require slight adjustments."

The maid bowed and went out of the room. There was a silence. I could see Myrrha's face from over the shade. She was tying her curly hair back with a ribbon. She pulled her nightgown over her undergarments and walked out from behind her shade. I kissed her cheeks.

"Black, Father? You are dressed in black and you send for black clothes for me. Tell me Father, who has died?" she asked while she rummaged distractedly in her jewel box.

"Your grandfather, Sir Antoine deRhones passed away yesterday. We are expected at your Uncle's sometime in the night."

"Oh, well then, I must contact my friends to tell them I cannot attend their little party tonight," said Myrrha calmly as she put on earrings.

"A party?" I asked.

Myrrha hadn't told me about any parties and a party was the right place for Kayeh to turn up. I was about to reproach Myrrha not mentioning she was to attend a party when she said:

"Aye, a party, Father. Today happens to be my birthday," she said reproachfully.

"I am sorry child that we must leave. But, tell your friends I will be giving a ball in your honour – all at my expense – and that they are all cordially invited to join us with their families and relations."

Myrrha stared at me wide-eyed before throwing herself in my arms. She kissed my cheek.

"You would give a ball, Father?" she said disbelievingly. "Oh, thank you!"

"Once your mourning is over, you may invite all your acquaintance here for a whole week of parties, feasts and balls. I am sure your cousins will be eager to come too," I said hoping that the thought of such pleasures would make Myrrha overlook that I had forgotten today was her sixteeth birthday.

The Grand Church was a magnificent building. Elsie told me it was here that most events in the family had happened, funerals, weddings, baptisms. It was a beautiful place, with broad windows through which the sun shone red, blue and green – according to the colour of the glass.