Prologue: Keith

I had been dragged to the biggest end of the school year party after my last day as a Junior. I was forced to attend the function despite how much I had protested. I would have preferred to have stayed home with a good book. Really anything other than a social gathering.

My only two friends were seniors who had graduated with the highest honors, they were off to go to college and in turn they would leave me in my own solitude. Matt and Shiro were both going to Garrison Tech University, my dream school. Once I breezed through senior year, I could resume my very impoverished social life. Virtually, it would be my last time hanging out with them. Anyone.

"Keith, lighten up, it's not like we'll never see each other again?" Matt reassured. He was the valedictorian of his class and the most eager to leave high school.

I held onto my red solo cup that Shiro, the host, had given me. He was sure to have every type of alcohol at everyone's dispense. I stood drinking ginger ale, "I don't like the atmosphere of parties. It's so crowded and wild, you both know that I get overwhelmed by large crowds especially those of drunk, dancing teenagers."

"You should socialize with some underclassmen, it could never do you any harm." Shiro had been as attentive as possible during the conversation, yet his eyes followed elsewhere. It was his party after all. "I hate to leave you by yourself."

Shiro had been my best friend since middle school. He had introduced me to Matt sometime shortly after we met. We had become a clique ever since. Us breaking apart seemed unnatural.

Shiro was the star player on the football team and brought West Altea High it's first win in ten years. He had dated the principal's daughter, Allura. The school was filled with dismay when they broke things off. They were the it couple. Shiro had even given her his letterman as a goodbye present. His eyes were in search of her.

Matt was on a different spectrum of popularity. He was the technological genius at our school, dominating robotics and doing everything in his power to raise his GPA. He had taken as many advanced placement courses his schedule could withstand. Matt also sedated his boredom by taking classes over the summer. No one sane was willing to do such a thing.

Then there was me who was notorious for being friends with the most well known students. I stood in their limelight. I was their shadow. That's all I was, with the exception of a few cruel words. As long as I was with Matt and Shiro, I'd never be confronted or targeted.

"Pid- Katie will be a freshman next year, I'm expecting you to look after her. That's one friend for you!" Matt winked, chugging down a beer. I was reeled out of the depths of my mind by his request.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah sure."

"Keith, I'm being serious." He raised a brow. I knew I couldn't escape helping her around. From everything he had told me he wanted to see her find a good group of friends. Katie had cut off all her hair and all of the girls in the eighth grade refused to talk to her. They called her horrible things.

"Oh, there's Allura. I'm going to enjoy my last night with her. I'll catch up with you guys later!" Shiro pushed us aside as he made his way to his semi-ex girlfriend.

Matt rolled his eyes laughing lightly, "She's so beautiful, I swear, every straight guy can't resist her." A splash of pink found his way onto his cheeks. "What do you think of her? I've never heard you talk about girls before."

I had a hard time responding to his question. "Allura and I have had a few classes with each other, she's really smart. I also think she's the president of the humanitarian club." I shrugged it off. I found myself taking up virtual learning as of sophomore year. My judgement was from my high school career as a freshman.