Chapter 14: Lance

I stood leaning against the uncomfortable doorframe of the janitor's closet, my arm falling into its crease. I tucked one hand into my jacket pocket and I rested the other on my hip. I blew at the stray hairs that tickled my forehead, eyeing at girls with boldness as they crossed my path. They giggled at the inanity of the location I resided in.

Dust bunnies bred in the corner, growing along with the cobwebs that hung off the misplaced wet floor signs. The yellow warning blocks were situated with the intent to indicate that the floor's friction had been compromised, yet the school's surface was littered by dirt and not graced by the presence of a liquid. The odds of the blemished floor and the dust bunnies' population hitting a depression were predicted as such: fictitious.

Even with the lack of cleanliness in the custodian's corner, three sophomores with done up hair and smeared, glam makeup had gathered around for the nonsense I had to say. Their puppy dog eyes were used to pressure me into swearing that I would escort them to the next party or for the promise that I would hang out with them after halftime during the next and final football game. Their requests were lost in translation as they were during most of my conversations with pretty girls in clothing too tight to properly breathe in.

"Lance!" My name was called by a gentle, female voice.

I turned to see who it belonged to, shooing away the sophomores that seemed to fancy my company; their cheeks reddened with anger as they stormed off. I loosened my posture as I caught glimpse of who had inquired my name. It was Shay and I knew what she was going to ask before she opened her mouth again.

From across the hallway, she sung carefully with an edge to her voice, "Lance, don't tell me you forgot about last night's party? It would have been so much more fun if you could have made it."

My reaction was delayed. I played off her request with fabricated ignorance. I made it seem as if I thought she was addressing someone else, "Me?" I pointed to myself.

"Who else?" She kindly giggled.

I was expected to attend soirées one after the other. It was only natural for me to be caught up in parties and to stay out late at football games. I was now a busy guy and my life was buzzing with trendies. My new found popularity replaced the need for me to leech off my ex-friends'. And even so, I wasn't granted the right to avoid people like Shay. People who weren't recognized as well known.

Hunk had texted me about being available for Shay's get-together. He had also sent me several text messages during the event asking of my location and what was keeping my arrival. I didn't have the guts to leave him on read. Cowardly, I deleted our conversation and blocked his number. I hadn't talked to him properly since football season began. Not in chemistry class. Not even on my shitty iPhone. Now was my opportunity to fix that mistake and to mend back my most valued friendship. Opportunities only mattered if you took them.

I placed my hand back on my hip, rose up both brows nervously, and faked a smile, "Sorry, Shay. I've been really busy with school work and all. I must have completely forgotten," I shamelessly lied.

With a shyness, she pushed back one of the tendrils that fell on her face behind her ear, "It happens to the best of us. I hope you can make it to the next one." She took my excuse and left.

Guilt grazed the surface of my thoughts, but I ignored its brief presence. I had little space in my mind to brood over an action that could have been.

I strutted down the dry halls of West Altea, winking at girls as I passed and pointing finger guns as I pleased. For the most part I received positive feedback, but there were instances where some students gagged. They would move their index fingers to point harshly inside of their mouths. Despite this, I kept my head up high and my ego even higher. I believed I was on top of the world.