1.0

Peyton

I had work today, and I was honestly debating on whether or not I should call in sick. I had an ever-growing headache, hoping the cool air outside would provide some relief.

Sadly, it didn't. I hissed feeling the cold air hitting my warm cheeks and eyes, forcing me to flip my hoodie over my head. I mentally cursed at myself for wearing a thin hoodie and no shirt underneath it.

Today was not my morning.

I picked up my pace, instantly regretting it as a wave of pain hit me smack in the face. I whimpered quietly, rubbing my temples as I continued to travel to the library.

Coffee will definitely help.

I crossed a street, passing by a breakfast place, that had multiple cars waiting in the drive-thru.

"Peyton!"

I turned at the sound of my name, wincing as I almost lost my balance. I saw an arm waving at me from out a window. Jungkook's head popped, shooting me a big smile. I weakly waved back to him, turning back and continuing my slow pace to work.

I was getting closer, I was only able to notice because there were kids running around with books in their arms. I looked up, finally seeing the familiar building.

I pushed open the front door, almost being knocked over by two young boys bursting past me. I held my head, wobbling as I stumbled my way over to where the back room was.

I pushed open the door, leaning against the wall as I looked at the coffee pot. 'Broken.'

I closed my eyes tightly, shoving my hands into my jacket pocket and walking back out to the cart that was half filled with books.

At least I didn't have a lot to do today, I could finish early, and sit in the back for a while. I nodded my head, agreeing with my very smart brain.

I carefully rolled the cart around, sliding the books into their respective shelves and making sure it wasn't upside down and the bind was sticking out for people to read the title.

My boss was very specific with how she ran her libraries.

Suddenly a child screamed for their parents, the sound sending a shock of pain to my head. I stumbled backward, catching myself on a bookshelf.

What was wrong with me?

I gently rub my eyes, pushing the cart over to the kids' section. They ran around happily, some reading to their parents, some of them listening as their parents read to them.

I wanted to smile at how sweet they looked, but I couldn't. I just kept a straight face, slipping the books into their right places again.

I felt tugging at my sleeve while I looked down to see a little girl, tears staining her cheeks. I bent down, frowning at her sad face.

"What's the matter?", I quietly ask, tensing up as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I sat on the floor, feeling her crawl into my lap.

She sat there, hugging me tightly, while I rubbed her back soothingly. She looked really sad, and I didn't know why.

"I lost my mommy," she cried, squeezing my hoodie in her little hands. I carefully stood up, balancing myself, holding onto the shelf so I didn't fall down.

I held her in my arms, looking over at Jimin, who was staring at the computer in front of him. I made my way over to him, trying to calm down the child and my pounding head.

"Jimin," I speak quietly, standing directly in front of the counter. He looks up, frowning at my face and tossing me a confusing glance while motioning to the little girl. "Help her find her mom."