Eight.

Algee

I sat in the bed all day, thinking about Elaija. My head hurt like hell and she was the only one that knew how to take care of me. I should've never drunk more than 3 shots. I don't know what I was thinking, but I'm regretting that shit now.

Elaija was supposed to be here when I got back. I was supposed to be lying next to my beautiful wife. But, she left last night. This time I don't even know why. The last time she left, it was because we were arguing and I said something about the past and she left. She handed me the engagement ring and she left, I thought she wasn't coming back.

I acted like an ass and I know it was my fault. But I don't know I promised her I'd be back before 12 and I thought it was 12 when I got back. We were in the strip club and my phone died on me, while in mid-text. Damn, I just want her to come back. It's 10 AM and nobody's answering their phones, I don't know what to do.

Hours passed, 10 to 11, 11 to 12, 12 to 1. I couldn't even take a nap. Just as I was closing my eyes, I see Elaija walk into the room. She had on the striped work shirt and some black jeans. My baby looked exhausted, all those tables she had to serve, plus she was standing up all morning.

"Baby, could you whip me up that hangover cure." She didn't answer, didn't even look my way. There was probably something else wrong that I just didn't know about. I mean, she has been leaving frequently and she hasn't told me what's wrong. I don't know if I did something or not.

"Baby." Still no answer from her, so I rose up. Elaija didn't want to be bothered with me. I was confused and worried at the same time. Did I do something wrong?

I decided to try one more time before she goes in the bathroom to shower. "Elaija." Not one glance my way, no sound came out of her mouth, I was all types of fucking confused. Why was she not talking to me?

"You alright?" Elaija came from the closet with a stuffed duffle bag and she still had on her shoes. I watched her walk out of the room and downstairs, only to come back up and go into the bathroom. Like every day after work, she'd come home and shower, one long ass shower, then she'd take a nap. This was not one of those days.

After what seemed like 2 hours of hearing the shower water run, it stopped. It took her 30 minutes to get ready, maybe even more some days. Elaija came out of the bathroom, makeup done, hair down, and she smelled like vanilla. She wore that new perfume that I'd bought her, I liked it.

"You look good, baby." She ignored me and headed downstairs. I got up and ran after her. I want to find out what I did wrong, I don't even know. Before Elaija could get to the door, I grabbed her arm.

She didn't want to look at me, not even for a minute. I don't think she'd want to hear me out, but I didn't give a fuck. "Tell me what's wrong with you, baby." For a minute, she said nothing, it was silent.

"Don't play fucking stupid, Algee. I'm tired of you lying to me, I'm done—" I couldn't process what she was saying because I didn't want to hear those words. Elaija never said she'd leave me.

"Baby I'm so sorry, it wasn't my intentions—" She shook her head and snatched away from me. Her duffle bag was in the chair next to the door. Elaija was only 5 steps away from walking out on me.

"No, you ain't sorry. So stop fucking saying you is. You lied to me so many times before and now it's over. Take this ring, I'll be back to get my things." My jaw dropped, so low I wasn't sure if I'd be able to pick it up. I was in complete shock, she was dumping me, calling it quits, we weren't even getting married. The body heated up in 2.5 seconds.

"Baby, please. C'mon E, you know I love you. Don't leave me like this." She stared at me coldly, it wasn't no changing her mind. But I just didn't want her to leave.