Chapter 9

**AYYY guys this book made it to 1k reads!! I'm so grateful and happy that Kings and Thieves was able to reach this milestone, and in only one month!! Thank you and love you all**

Chapter 9

"Perhaps we shouldn't be bringing them into the Tarrah with us," Lyla said tentatively as they plodded along, trying not to look too suspicious with their two captives in tow. "If they wanted the invitation, then we're taking them exactly where they want to go."

"Who says we're taking them to the Tarrah?" Ari shifted his grasp on the girl in front of him. "We could be dragging them out to a quiet area to be shot."
Aveline didn't bother to contradict him, chewing on the inside of her cheek as she thought of what to do next.

The Tarrah was located off of the main strip and down a quiet pathway. Aveline decided that if they were looking for a discreet location for the high-profile inn, then this was it; their path was dark and unlit, the only sounds being their footsteps and Ari's occasional complaining.

Aveline considered the girl, who kept trying to hit Ari even though her hands were tied. Then she trained her attention on Eli, tugging at his shirt. He was obviously wealthy, judging from the materials in his clothing and the soft, unruffled planes of his skin.

"What were you two doing?" She lowered her voice in a way she hoped sounded menacing and jabbed her dagger harder onto his back.

"Ouch!" He jumped, idly rubbing his side with one hand. "Look, I don't know her," he protested. "She just wanted me to help her steal that blonde girl's invitation into the Tarrah."

"Mm-hmm, and why did you want her invitation?"

"I don't," He corrected, straightening his jacket. "I already have one."

Aveline went rigid, nearly dropping her dagger. "What business do you have there?"

Eli turned his head until his eyes met hers. "Now, that's not really any of your concern, is it?"

Aveline bared her teeth. She glanced over at Ari.

"Let us go," the new girl was saying, pulling against his unrelenting grip.

He maintained his usual tone of boredom. "And why would we do that?"
"Because I want the same thing you do." The other girl paused. "To find the lost royals."

Aveline froze. Eli hissed. A brief pause collected in the air as this statement sunk in.

Ari yanked the girl around to face him and put his hand on his pistol. His voice lowered as he tightened his hold on her arm. "How do you know about that?"

She looked straight at him, tossing a piece of hair out of her eyes. "If you get me into the Tarrah, I'll help you find them."

"What makes you think we need your help?" He snarled.

She stood her ground. "I suppose you'll have to let me in and see."

Aveline tilted her head, thinking. "Would you give us a moment?" She inquired, more tactfully than perhaps deemed necessary under the circumstances. She fastened her small, brisk fingers around Ari and Lyla's wrists and pulled them a safe distance away, keeping her eyes carefully fastened on Eli and the girl.

"Well, this is a new development."

"I thought know one else knew about the missing royals." Ari's brows knitted together and he looked at Lyla.

She shook her head. "I didn't think anyone did. Obviously we can't trust them. They could be the ones that took Tristran!" She had a point, and Aveline lifted her eyebrows, surprised that Lyla was even voicing her opinion.