Chapter 45

**Hi guys, sorry about the late post. I'm headed out of the country and I might not have internet for a bit, but I couldn't leave without posting the last chapter of Kings and Thieves :) enjoy.**

Chapter 45

Before either of them could react, Lyla rushed forward with - "The position would be however as long as you want it. You could be ambassadors to the Queen! You two are so well-travelled, and since you know so much about the other kingdoms, I told her I thought you'd make great emissaries..." She let her words fade, staring at the two of them as if she was trying to decipher their expressions and was failing.

Ari had no idea how to respond. He glanced at Aveline, who looked as flummoxed as he felt.

"Lyla... I don't understand," he said when he was sure she was finished. "Are you sure the Queen said this? For certain?"

"She can't mean that, Lyla," Aveline added. "I mean... to be perfectly honest with you, I think I still have things on the ship that I stole from this palace."

Lyla wasn't about to give up. "I was as surprised as you were, but haven't you worked with her before?"
"Yes, but that was a long time ago, and she was in a desperate situation. I was sure the Queen didn't trust us, and for good reason," said Ari.

"But then you rescued her son. I just... " Lyla idly flipped one of the petals of a cactus flower between her fingers. "Look, I know this is sudden, and it might not even be what you want. And I understand if you turn it down, because you'd be giving up your life for a little while, and I understand-"

"Lyla," interrupted Aveline, in the gentle way she always did. "It's alright."

Lyla dipped her head, and focused her attention on the seams of her dress while Ari glanced at Aveline. She gave the barest of shrugs.

"We'll think on it, yes?" Ari proposed. "This is a big decision, surely."

Lyla eagerly lifted her head back up. "Of course. Take all the time you need."

Her obvious excitement at the possibility of them staying was flattering and somewhat endearing. Ari hesitated to turn her down, and Aveline likely felt the same.
But inside, Ari's head was reeling. Live in Apreuna? But it was so... dry.

And what about his crew? And- he wasn't a royal, he was just Ari. A pirate captain, through and through. He hadn't lived within the law in... well, ever.

"Where would you be in all of this?" Aveline was saying.

"Oh, I don't know," Lyla dithered, shaking her head. "Suzie offered me a rather promising position in her thriving business."

Aveline's eyes sparkled. "Was that a joke, Lyla?"

"I do that sometimes." Lyla laughed. "But in all seriousness, Ari, Aveline, you could live here. In the palace. With me! We could stay together." Then she sobered and stared at them seriously. "You're both my friends now. I don't know what I'd do here without you."
Ari nearly groaned, though he knew Lyla didn't mean to give them a guilt trip.

Aveline, clearly flustered, chewed on her lower lip. "Well... we'll need to talk to Inez..."

"That's completely fine. She could live here too! And the children! We could have so much fun!" After a pause, Lyla reined in her enthusiasm. "But I'll let you both think about it. Of course."

"Of course," Ari echoed confidently, though he had no idea what he was supposed to do.

He was saved from having to elaborate by Simon, who poked his head around the corner.