Chapter 35

**I hope everyone's summer is fun so far!! I got the job I wanted so yay for that!! Anyway, long chapter, oops. See more notes at the bottom.**

Lyla stood in her empty room, arms resting uncomfortably at her sides as she tried to steel herself against her nerves.

Her reflection in the looking glass was familiarly polished; her blonde hair once more swept off of her bare shoulders. She had chosen a lilac-colored gown; full-skirted, with loose sleeves and corset-laced in the back. The silk sparkled slightly when she moved, and it complimented her blue eyes.

It was almost lovely enough to mask the butterflies in her stomach.

In all the excitement, Lyla had somehow forgotten that she would be seeing everyone again. Her aunt, her cousins... her mother.

For all they knew, she'd been missing for months. What would she say? "Hey everyone, apologies for disappearing so suddenly. Truthfully, I hate being here. Sorry."

Lyla had spent so long outside for the first time in her life; she was almost grateful she didn't have to return to the Apreuna palace just yet. The whole experience would be no doubt surreal and only serve to stoke the conflict within her.

Her first priority was rescuing Tristran, and it was a worthy distraction from her anxiety. He needed her help.

Lyla returned her gaze to the mirror with a sigh. At least she looked like a noble, and not like someone who had spent the morning helping Ari clean the fish tanks.

A soft knock came at her door. "Are you ready?"

Aveline opened the door before Lyla could respond. Her gown was a deep violet blue, the bodice clinging to her figure, and her hair was up save for few wisps of curls near her cheeks. Her amber eyes sparkled and her lips were a deep red, and Lyla thought with Aveline's natural beauty and openness she would be the envy of everyone at court.

Jamie stood stiffly next to her in a maroon dress, hiding her hands in the endless layers of folds of her skirt and looking nothing like a poor girl from Diviel. Her neckline was bare save for a small choker, highlighting the smooth alabaster of her skin.

"You're lovely," complimented Aveline, offering Lyla her arm. "Like a Lady."

Lyla accepted it, smiling. "Everyone is going to ask who my mysterious friends are."

"Hopefully not," Ari said dryly from behind his first mate. His curls were soft and damp; matching his dark eyes and olive skin. Without his leather and dirty cheeks, Ari looked like some beautiful, mysterious prince from a kingdom Lyla had never heard of. She had no doubt that he would gain lots of admirers that evening; which would annoy him immensely.

The thought made Lyla giggle, covering her mouth with a gloved hand.

Eli was among them, wearing a forest green overcoat and a black doublet with matching pants and boots. His fair hair was freshly washed and shone like a golden crown on his head. His eyes twinkled as he held the door open for her.

"We have to treat you like a Lady now, I suppose," Jamie teased.

Lyla laughed as she followed her out into the hallway. "Please don't."

It was a clear night, the ocean fog absent in the star-dotted sky. Inez and Henry skipped up to them immediately as they went up on deck.

"Hurry up and board the ship somewhere conspicuous," Ari ordered them. "I want to get out of these ridiculous clothes as soon as possible."

"It's a ball, Captain." Henry shifted the sail in his arms. "it's not going to kill you."

"We'll see."