Chapter 39

**what UP everyone. guess what movie I just watched? The 2005 Pride and Prejudice. SWOON omG one of the most iconic films of all time.  anyway that's unrelated so enjoy this chapter dudes**

Chapter 39

The next few days were a blur; filled with much discussion and planning.

Aveline was confident enough that this was going to work. She and Ari had never failed at anything, and they weren't about to start now.

She and Eli hadn't yet talked about what happened at the ball. Aveline hadn't brought it up, and Eli hadn't pushed it.

But something had changed; significantly, and Aveline didn't want to ignore it anymore. Eli stood next to her most of the time, now, and when their hands brushed on their way to the dining room Aveline curled her fingers around his.

So, yes, unspoken, but— Aveline tentatively settled into whatever was happening with Eli. And so far, nothing horrible had happened; she got some questioning looks from Ari, but, mercifully, he never said anything. Which was fair, because doing so would be quite hypocritical on his end, Aveline reasoned.

Currently, everyone was on deck, biding their time. Eli was playing chess with Henry while Lyla chewed anxiously on her fingernails, and Ari kept trying to throw raw corn kernels through the hole Silver had left in the floor.

Aveline couldn't focus on the book she was reading; her eyes kept straying off the page.

"Where's Jamie?" She realized suddenly, propping her elbow up on her knee so she could rest her chin on her palm.

Ari shrugged and threw another kernel.

"Don't you think you should go find her?" Her words were deliberately pointed. Ari ignored her. "You're such a child."
No reaction.

Shaking her head, Aveline stalked off on her own.

She found Jamie inside, gazing out the window out onto the deck with a curiously blank face.

Aveline slid on the bench next to her, daintily positioning her skirts around her knees. "Bored?"

"A bit out of sorts, mostly." Jamie lifted a shoulder. "We're staging an ambush on my own family. I have no idea what to feel."

Aveline hesitated. "I know this must be difficult for you." She let sympathy color her tone, and Jamie unfolded her legs from their crossed position.

"It's fine, Ben and I- we'll be fine. But thank you for caring." Jamie's expression darkened, then, and Aveline suddenly understood.

"Ari," she exhaled, pushing a curl behind her shoulder. "You think he doesn't care?"
Jamie startled; her impassivity slipping for a moment. "I'm not sure what you mean."

Aveline waited.

"I mean, Ari doesn't care about anything," Jamie said finally. "That's what he'd like us all to think, right?"

Aveline hummed in response. She wondered if Jamie was seeking advice, or simply wanted someone to talk at.
"Do you want to hear my thoughts on this?"

"If you really want to bore yourself with my self-pity." Jamie returned to observing the window. "You seem to be having fun," she added, pointedly glancing at Eli.

Aveline half-smiled. "Maybe. But you're changing the subject."

"What do you want me to say?" Jamie's shoulders slumped and the masked indifference suddenly vanished from her voice. "Ari is.... He's such a...a brat."

"Truer words were never spoken." Aveline nodded solemnly. "But you have to understand— Ari's a creature of habit. He's not used to letting anyone close. He's afraid of rejection, I think."