15. Purpose

We laid on my couch, eating junk food and laughing about silly cartoons all day.

It was one of the best days I had ever had.

I looked over at him from across the couch, watching him eat a spoonful of ice cream with the sweater I had given him.

I smiled. "Harry?"

He looked up from his bowl. "Yeah?"

I paused, getting lost in his eyes for a moment. "Be my boyfriend."

His mouth gaped, holding the spoon firmly in his hand. "W-What.."

"Be my boyfriend." I said again. "My one and only, my exclusive, my significant other, my better half.. any of these doing it for you?"

"Louis.." He shook his head in disbelief. "Why on earth would you want.. me? I mean, there are so many better people out there for you.. you have everything figured out. You have a job, a beautiful home. You could have someone who actually brings something to your life. Someone who isn't homeless and jobless. Someone who isn't.. worthless."

The words stung my ears, listening to him degrade himself like that.

"Come here.." I took the bowl from him, laying it down on the coffee table. I grabbed his hand, pulling him close to me. "Are you really gonna make me go over this again?"

"Yes." He nodded. "I need to know why someone like you would ever want to be in a relationship with someone like me."

"Because.." I brushed a curl from his face. "You're kind. You're sweet. You're selfless. You make me want to be a better man. You're a great cook. You were in a band called White Eskimo, which by the way is the coolest thing ever."

He giggled under his sweater paw.

"You're smart. You're funny. You're a great kisser and cuddler. You're the most handsome boy I have ever laid eyes on. You love musicals so we never have to fight over the genre of movie. Your favorite color is green which means when you wear green it will make your gorgeous eyes pop even more, so that's a plus. You love to find silly shapes in the stars. Your favorite flower is roses so I already know which type of flower to buy you. Your favorite food is donuts. You thought The Office was the funniest show in the world so you obviously have good taste in television. You have the most contagious smile in the world with a pair of dimples to match. You have the best laugh I have ever heard. Your big hands are perfect for holding. You have an amazing talent of throwing food in the air and catching it with your mouth, which by the way I'm still jealous of."

His eyes welled up with tears as I spoke.

"You're the complete package, Harry Edward Styles

"You're the complete package, Harry Edward Styles." I grabbed his hand. "Your tragedies don't define you. Just because you went through a struggle.. it doesn't make you worthless. In fact, it makes you stronger. It makes me admire you even more."

He looked down, letting a tear fall from his eye.

"I know I haven't known you for very long but every moment spent with you has been magical for me. You bring something to my life that I thought no one ever could. You've changed me. You've made me a better person." I paused. "I want you to be mine. I want to treat you right and give you the life you truly deserve. I want to go to work tomorrow and tell everyone about my amazing new boyfriend."

I lifted his chin up, his eyes meeting mine.

"So.." I leaned in. "Will you be my boyfriend?"

The words I had spoken to him seemed to bring life to his once broken eyes.

He finally found worth in himself.

He nodded. "Done."

I grabbed him, hugging him tighter than I had ever held anyone before.

"You've given me a reason to live, Louis." He whispered in my ear. "You've given me purpose again."

"You've always had purpose." I kissed his cheek. "You just needed to see it yourself."