17. Sick

I woke up that early Monday morning, still holding the boy with the curls in my arms.

He looked so cozy while he slept beside me.

I loved seeing him safe and comfortable. My heart shuttered to think about him ever having to sleep on that cold hard bench.

My only regret was not saving him sooner.

As I admired him, I saw his eyelashes slowly flutter open before blue met green.

"Good morning, Lou." He smiled, his voice deeper than usual.

"Hi baby

"Hi baby." I loved calling him that. "How did you sleep?"

"The best night sleep I've ever had." He cuddled deeper into my chest. "Mmm.. so warm."

"I'm glad." I closed my eyes, taking in this moment. "Are you ready for today?"

"Are you sure you'll be okay taking off work?" He gave a concerned look. "I don't want you to get in trouble."

"It's alright." I nodded. "I'll just call in sick. I have a lot of P.T.O."

"What's P.T.O?" He furrowed his brows.

"Paid time off." I explained. "It's when you work enough hours to get some days off."

"And you get paid even if you don't work?" He looked shocked. "Wow.. this whole job thing doesn't sound so bad after all."

I giggled at him. "Dork."

He burrowed his face into my chest. "I don't want this moment to end."

"Me neither." I sighed. "Unfortunately I do have to call my work.. put my acting skills to the test."

"Here.." He sat up, reaching for my phone on the nightstand.

He handed it to me, laying on my chest once again. "Good luck."

"I'll need it." I typed in my works number, putting the phone to my ear. "Hey Liam, it's Louis."

"Hey man, are you coming in today?"

I looked down to see Harry giggling into my chest.

"Stop." I mouthed to him before going back to my phone conversation. "I won't be able to come into work today. I think I have the flu or something."

"That's okay." Liam said to me. "I'll let the boss man know. Do you think you'll be in tomorrow?"

I nodded, as if he could see me. "Yeah. I should be better by tomorrow."

"Awesome. Well feel better, alright."

"Thanks Liam." I hung up the phone, shaking my head in Harry's direction.

He snickered. "What.."

"You almost got me in trouble." I started tickling him, causing him to laugh loudly.

"S-Stop!" He rolled over. "I'm ticklish!"

I jumped on top of him, his eyes glistening as he looked up at me.

"I don't know what I did to deserve you." I said to him, lightly shaking my head.

"Right back at cha." He booped my nose, exposing his dimples.

I pecked his lips before sitting up completely. "Alright, go get ready for today."

"What do I wear?" He raised a brow.

"Feel free to raid my closet, nothing is off limits."

"Are you sure?"

"I really wish you would stop asking me that." It came out meaner than I wanted it to.

"I'm sorry." He frowned.

I grabbed his hand. "I just want you to be confident in yourself and our relationship. I don't want you look at yourself as a charity case anymore. You're my boyfriend now. My equal. My other half."

"I'm sorry." He gripped my hand. "I'm just so used to looking at myself as a charity case. As everybody's burden."

"But you're not." I nodded. "You're a person, just like everyone else."

"A person with not a dime to my name." He shrugged.

"Who cares!" I shouted. "Money is just a number. Just a material item. It doesn't determine your self worth."

"If you say so." He looked down. "I just wish I could do things for you like you do for me."

"You can!" I scoffed at him. "It doesn't have to be things that involve money. It could be a hand hold, or a kiss on the cheek, or making me breakfast. That's the important stuff."

He looked up at me. "Why are you so wise?"

"I guess my mother blessed me with a big brain." He paused. "And a big ass."

He laughed. "You do have a really nice butt."

"You noticed?"

"Of course I noticed. I'm homeless, not blind."

"You have a small butt." I noted. "We need to get some more food in ya. Get some meat on these bones."

"I wish. I've always wanted to be super muscular." He flexed his small arm.

"We should get a gym membership." I patted my tummy. "I've been wanting to get in better shape, anyway."

"I would love that!" He bounced all excited.

"Calm down, curly." I joked. "It's just the gym not Disney world."

"I'm sorry. I just find value in the littlest things."

"Another thing I love about you." I kissed the top of his hand. "Alright, go get ready."

"Right, sorry!" He jumped out of bed, running to the bathroom.