0.7

Carter had woken up on the quinnjet, Natasha was beside him holding his hand, and she looked dazed. He ripped his hand away from Nat and turned onto his side, curling into the blanket Clint had given him. He wanted to be away from these people, he knew he could hurt them. Natasha felt Carter move, and she looked up at the boy who had provided her with so much comfort over the course of the last year. Steve was lost in his own thoughts when he looked over to Carter, of course he was worried about the younger man, he was also worried for Bruce, being Hulk took a toll on the doctor, and he was currently curled up in a blanket in the middle of the ship. Thor was directly across from Natasha and Carter. He was looking off into the distance, thinking to himself.

Clint was piloting, he had drug everyone into the ship after what had happened. The entire team was down. "The news is loving you guys." Carter heard the soothing voice of Maria Hill. "Nobody else is." Tony replied, he had gone to help Bruce when he went all angry Hulk on the poor city.

"There's been no official call for Banner's arrest but it's in the air.-"Carter felt the tears well up in his eyes, he curled more into the wall, he wanted to never come out of his cacoon of blankets. It made him feel safe and content.

"The Stark Relief Foundation?"

"Already on the scene. How's the team? How's Carter?" Maria was worried, she had always worried about him more than anyone else, the poor boy was not emotionally or physically okay and it worried everyone.

"Carter's...We took a hit. We'll shake it off." Tony replied licking his lips, "Well, for now, I'd stay in stealth mode and stay away from here." Maria was always the best to go to for advice and it showed, she was wise beyond her years.

Carter heard Tony and Maria exchange more words, "So, run and hide?" Carter curled more into himself as he felt his eyes getting dropy, "Until we can find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer."

"Neither do we."

Carters mind was now hazy, his sight growing darker every moment, he was tired again, but he was also scared, scared of the nightmares that followed. He knew Wanda was feeling it at the moment too, no one could be able to withstand his nightmares.

"Hey, you wanna switch out?" The words echoed throughout the jet and Carter felt them pound his head, with every vibration. The migraine growing, and his hands shaking. "No, I'm good. If you wanna get some sleep, now's a good time because we're still a few hours out."

"Few hours from where?"

"A safe house."

Carter knew what house it was, he knew the home well. It was his favorite place to escape too, when he had first joined the team, he had moved his remaining stuff to the Barton household, it wasn't something he could easily talk about, but his transition and his training went on there, with Natasha and Clint. Carters eyes shut slowly and then he was out.

▼▼

A few hours later, Carter had been awoken by Clint and he stood up, shaken, but he knew where he was, and he was out the jet door as quick as possible. He just wanted a hug from Laura and the kids. He needed to feel safe and that was when he was surrounded by the family. Steve watched with interest as Carter walked up the steps of the home, he wanted to get into the safe house quicker than the rest. When Carter had reached the front door he looked behind him to see Clint holding Natasha up and Carter opened the door, pushing it open for the fallen Avengers.

Clint looked around when they entered the house, "Honey? We're home." A very pregnant Laura walked into the room then eyes wide, and her eyes bunched up with tears once she saw Carter. He took five steps before he engulfed her in his arms, Clint came up behind the boy before she pulled away and Clint pulled his wife into a hug. She gripped Carters arm tightly before looking at the rest of the team.

"Hi." She whispered, waving quickly, "Sorry, didn't call ahead." Clint didn't want Laura to be mad about this sudden change, "This is an agent of some kind." Tony looked at her with a glance, "Gentlemen, this is Laura." Clint motioned to his pregnant wife, "I know all of your names."

Carter heard the twos footsteps before Clint and the suited boy looked up just in time, "Incoming." Carter stepped back to let Clint hug his children first, but Lila had locked eyes on the older boy and immediately ran to him.

"Dad!"

"Carter!" Lila ran into Carters legs and he picked her up holding the young girl tightly to his chest. She always made him feel at home, she was his sister, and Cooper was his brother. They were a family. Natasha smiled at the adopted siblings interaction, and she was happy to see Carter smile. Clint hugged Cooper and Carter handed Lila over to Clint, who was anticipating a hug from his daughter. "How are you guys doing?" Lila was then set down and took Carters hand again and leaned into him.

"These are smaller agents." Tony asked seeing the kids. He couldn't believe Carter had kept this from him, "Look at your face! Oh, my goodness."

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" Lila asked the two, before Carter turned to Nat, "Why don't you hug her and find out?" Natasha walked forward and Lila ran to the red head, while she swooped her up and hugged her tightly.

Steve being the polite soldier he was said, "Sorry for barging in on you." Tony added, "Yeah, we would've called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed." Tony was very sarcastic, and it didn't help that the little ones were still there.

"Yeah, well, Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off S.H.I.E.L.D.'s files. I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Clint looked at the team before Carter smiled and hugged Cooper, he had grown taller, and Lilas hair had grown. A little while after the latest comment made by Clint, Natasha and Carter were standing by Laura, "Honey. I missed you."

"How's little Natasha?" Nat bent down to touch Laura's belly, Carter and Natasha had made a bet about the baby, and he knew he was going to win, "She's...Nathaniel."

Carter snorted, and Natasha looked up at him, "You owe me fifty bucks." Carter always won bets, he never lost.

Natasha spoke to the belly then, the words "Traitor." bounced off her lips and Carter shook his head leaning into Lauras arms then. Carter looked over to see Lila looking up at Thor then and Thor got this look in his eyes that only meant one thing, he was leaving. Carter went over to Lila and scooped her up, and he looked at Steve to follow a now retreating Thor.

"So what have I missed while I've been gone princess Lila?"

Lila had shown Carter his newly decorated room and the pictures of him with the kids from over seven months ago perched on the dresser. Lila said that Laura and her had painted it the dark blue because it was his color. Lila had drawn him a couple pictures of the two while he was away and she showed him her new barbie dolls.

Later in the day Carter had changed into some jeans and a regular t shirt, he sat in the living room with jenga out and little Lila across from him. Carter loved the girl, the moment he came into the house she instantly attached herself to him and it broke his heart he couldn't be with her more, but she knew the job called when you least expected it.

"Carter don't pick that piece, its going to fall!" Lila squealed as Carter pulled a piece he shouldn't have. The tower came crashing down, "Oops." Carter smiled laughing at the girl who looked angry at him. "You doofus." Lila shouted crossing her arms.

"Yeah yeah I'm a doofus."