.10

Carter had never felt more at peace, he was sleeping back at the Barton home. Wanda was down the hall in the guest room and he couldn't bring himself to even talk to her. Lila and Cooper were suprised when their father along with Carter and a new guest walked through the door. Wanda needed some time away from the avengers and she needed time to grieve. Pietro had made Carter promise that he would protect and care for her, so he thought of bringing her here after the new team was made. It made sense to let her grieve for a couple months. Carter heard his door open slightly, Lila stood there smiling, "Carter!" She yelled and ran to her brother. "Lila!" He groaned as she ran into him hitting his side where he had been shot.

"Oops, I'm sorry." She looked at her brother's pain stricken face, "It's alright kiddo. Lets go downstairs, I have someone I want you to meet." Carter let out a smile when he saw Lila's eyes light up. "Go wait for me in the hallway." He motioned to the door, her pigtails bounced as she walked. He smelled Lauras cooking from upstairs and that made him move a bit faster, when the new team was in training she went into labor and Clint had rushed to be by her side, but Carter couldn't leave Wanda...

As Carter stood up he went over to his dresser, he opened the drawer and pulled out a plain black t shirt, his sweatpants hung loosely on his hips as he looked at the pictures on top of the dresser. He was so excited to meet baby Nathaniel. He heard Lilas giggling outside of the door and he made his way over, Cooper was there. "Hey Coop."

"Carter!" He threw his arms around the older boys neck and Lila jumped up and down, they were so excited. "How are you Coop?" He asked setting the ten year old back on the ground, "I'm good, now that you and Dad are home." Carter smiled before ruffling the boys hair some more, "Well I'm glad to be home too, now I need you guys to go downstairs and go give your pops some love, I have to go get someone real quick okay?" The two kids nodded before taking off, Carter looked down the hall at the room where Wanda was staying. She should be up, it was almost ten...

Carter walked down the hall, and soon he stood in front of her door. He could hear her shuffling inside and he raised his fist up to knock. Wanda soon opened the door in a pair of athletic shorts and a maroon t shirt. Her eyes screamed that she was nervous, her hair was in a bun on top of her head. "Hey." He spoke softly seeing her beautiful green eyes look down, "Hi."

"I'm about to go downstairs, and was wondering if you wanted to come meet everyone?" He asked the simple question, "I figured you must be hungry, we got in pretty late last night..." He continued. "Yeah I'll come." Her heavy accent was still there and Carter hoped she kept it even though she was starting to be used to american customs. It was then he realized he hadn't thought of Luke or Jessica since before the battle, his facial expression dropped and Wanda noticed in an instant. "Carter?" She questioned closing her door so now the two, barefoot and still in their pajamas, were closer than ever. "Its nothing. Was just thinking about some people."

Carter grabbed her hand and led her downstairs, the kitchen was right around the corner, he heard Clint and Lauras quiet conversation, something about a middle name for their newborn. The first thing he saw was Lila and Cooper sitting on the ground playing with legos. Wanda stood behind Carter and gripped his hand tightly. "Carter." Laura smiled as he walked forward slowly with the girl behind him. He was the only person that she would really go to for comfort, since she was in an environment she wasn't used too. Laura stood in front of them soon and she threw herself around Carter, he could now properly hug her being Nathaniel was no longer in her belly. He hugged her tightly, "I was so worried, how are you feeling, Clint said you got shot." Laura's face was concerned as she pulled away. "I'm okay, a bit sore..."

"Laura, this is Wanda, shes a new member of the avengers." Wanda looked at Laura with a terrified expression, Laura placed her hands on the girls shoulders, "I'm Laura and those two little ones over there are Lila and Cooper, you already know Clint." She motioned, "I'm so glad to have another girl in the house, testosterone really drives a woman crazy." Wanda smiled softly, she was warmly welcomed in the Barton home, "Now where is Nathaniel?" Carter asked seeing Laura smile, "He's still sleeping, babies and all." Her eyebrow went up and pointed her wooden spoon at the boy. "He kept us up all night suprised you didn't hear it." Clint snorted, "Well we were tired, we trained earlier." Carter felt Wanda walk up to his side, and he threw an arm around her shoulder. Clint eyed the two, he knew they had been getting closer.

Cooper and Lila had made their way over to the adults seeing the new female under Carters arm. "You're really pretty." Lila wondered out loud, Wanda smiled at the young girl before kneeling down, "Well thank you. You are just as beautiful if not more." Lila giggled, before hugging Wanda tightly. "We're glad you're here with us." Cooper added before hugging her too. Carter smiled and looked back at Clint and Laura, who had slight smiles on their faces. Carter had a feeling Clint had told her all about Wanda and her brother who was no longer with them.

||

A couple hours had passed and Carter had situated himself outside on the patio swing, he loved being home, his room at Tonys didn't compare to the country life that he had grown up with. He heard the door open a bit and Wanda walked out, she had changed into sweat pants and a tank top with a cardigan. He smiled a bit as she sat next to him, "I can see why you like it here so much. It's peaceful." She whispered looking at Carter for a moment before turning her head to watch the landscape. "Yeah, its nice...reminds me of my childhood and my mother."

"I bet." She whispered leaning into him a bit. Carter put his arm around the girl before pulling her to him. "You know as a child, I lived on a farm." He added, "My mom loved it and so did I. My mom was the most beautiful woman, I miss her a lot." It was quiet then and Carter had never felt so much happier than he was right now, he heard the soft cries of the new family member, Carter leaned back so he was complety on his back and Wanda laid across his chest, she hummed softly as her fingers tapped on his chest in a sooting motion, and Carter felt at home. He was at peace, for the first time not experencing a headache or the urges.

He was finally home.

||

Ellen Pompeo as Lily Tate.