Mr. Monaghan

"Alright class, I feel as though you should already know, but your teacher Mrs. Leveque just had her baby, so I will be your substitute for the next month."

My head is still rested on my desk. I honestly don't care enough to pick my head up and see our new substitute.

He continues talking about how he doesn't care what we do as long as we're respectful towards ourselves and others, blah blah blah. Typical "young substitute" speech.

I am just about to drift off to sleep when there is a rough tapping on my desk.

I lift my head, slowly pulling my eyelids open and come face to face with a young, red haired man with watery blue eyes and light freckles scattered across his face. He gives me a warm smile and stands back upright.

"Good morning," He says in a pleasant tone.

I sit back in my chair and clear my throat. "Good morning," I respond.

"You didn't get much sleep last night, huh?" He chuckles and licks over his lips.

I dryly return his laugh, not trying to sound rude. "No, not really. I had work last night. You know how that goes." I speak and pull out my binder for this class.

"Yeah, yeah." He says and runs his fingers through his red hot hair. "Well just let me hand out this vocabulary and you can get back to your nap." He offers. Sweet.

I nod and he walks back towards his temporary desk. He distributes a stack of papers to us all and goes and sits back down at the desk and loses himself in a thick novel. As soon as I finish defining the vocabulary I bury my face in my arms and drift back off to sleep.

I am finally awoken by the bell ringing, letting us know it's time to move on to our next class. I hoist my backpack on my shoulders and carry my finished vocabulary to the substitute and place it on his desk.

"Here you go sir," I say simply and walk off.

"Monaghan," He calls, causing me to turn around.

"Huh?"

"Cameron Monaghan. Mr. Monaghan, actually." He smiles.

"Oh, okay." I say and give him an equally as friendly smile.

"Hey, Ms. Martin," He calls once again, looking up from the paper I just handed him. Obviously that's where he got my last name from.

"Yes?"

"I'm going to have a shit ton of papers to grade, excuse my language. Would you mind coming by maybe during your lunch to help out?"

What the hell? Do I look like a TA to him?

"Uhh,"

"If it's no bother to you, of course." He quickly adds.

"No, no it's not a bother." I say.

"Great!" He smiles.

"Actually, would after school be fine? Lunch is kind of my only time to talk to my friends." I say.

"Oh yeah I understand, that's fine." He says. "Thank you."

"No problem," I say before turning and walking out. I'm glad my next class is just down the hall. I would've been late to anywhere else with all of his talking.

...

I knock on the door to my first teachers class. The hallways have pretty much been cleared out.