26. Won't Tell

"Dale?"

"Go away."

Dale's voice was sharp and accented, cutting into Iyden's soft, disorganised thoughts.

"No." Iyden said clearly, following him through the crowd at school. "Dale, listen to me."

Dale snapped around and glared.

"What do you want me to tell you?"

**

They ended up outside under a cherry tree at lunch, clutching their lunch boxes. Silence covered them like a bubble, but sound seemed to seep through from the other people; hurrying, shouting, laughing. Iyden wanted to laugh, but nothing could make him laugh at the moment: he felt slightly sick.

"Dale, please tell me." he whispered, swallowing slowly.

Dale looked over at him through his brown hair, and sniffed lightly, looking mightily angry.

"No, I won't tell you. Why do you want to know?"

Iyden thought the answer was obvious- he wanted to know because he'd been there, he'd watched her in the water, watched Dale cry, watched his brother pull a body out of the water...he wanted answers. He was desperate to know what had happened, what was wrong with Dale's sister, why Dale was so angry.

"I'm a curious person, and I also h-helped...you told me you needed help. That means I have a right to know what was wrong." Iyden said ina  strong tone.

Dale ran his fingers through his hair and sighed loudly, making Iyden feel slightly guilty.

No, you must keep going. Make him tell you, Iyden thought.

"No, I have my secrets and you have your own." Dale hissed. "I don't want to know yours, so don't pry into mine. I'm going back in now-" Iyden's stomach twisted. "Don't follow me, Iyden." Dale said in a rough voice, and got up, leaving his lunch behind.