The Vampires of Venice

"You did what!" Peyton exclaims. The Doctor has just left the TARDIS to do whatever 'getting your fiancé entails.

"It was an accident!" Amy yells back.

"Amy, it's your wedding day tomorrow," she shakes her head. "And he's an alien, isn't that just a little bit weird?"

"You're half alien," she challenges.

"This isn't about me," Peyton sighs, putting her head in her hands. "Amy, why did you do it? What about Rory?"

"We'd just almost died, it was the heat of the moment." Neither of them say anything else until the Doctor returns a few moments later with a very confused Rory.

"Wait here," he instructs him. "I need to attend to a thing, then we'll get to business."

• • •

"Oh! Life out there, it dazzles," the Doctor shouts up from beneath the console doing God knows what. "I mean, it blinds you to the things that are important. I've seen it devour relationships and plans-"

A shower of sparks explodes from the console causing the three Earthlings to jump away.

"It's meant to do that," the Doctor lies, but he continues with his lecture. "Because for one person to have seen all that, to taste the glory and go back, it will tear you apart. So, I'm sending you two somewhere, together."

"What, like a date?" Amy asks.

"Anywhere you want, any time you want. One condition, it has to be amazing." He finishes what he was doing and races up the stairs to the console. "The Moulin Rouge In 1890! The first Olympic Games! Think of it as a wedding present, because, frankly, it's either this or tokens."

The Doctor continues prancing about and makes his way up to the landing up the stairs.

"It's a lot to take in, isn't it," the Doctor addresses Rory. "Tiny box, huge room inside. What's that about? Let me explain-"

"It's another dimension," Rory says flatly, still cross with the Doctor.

"It's basically another dimen- what?"

"After what happened with Prisoner Zero, I've been reading up on all the latest scientific theories. FTL travel, parallel universes."

Peyton chuckles at that. He was always a bit of a nerd.

"I like the bit when someone says 'it's bigger on the inside'," the Doctor sulks, walking down the steps to meet Rory. "I always look forward to that."

"So, this date," Amy interrupts. "I'm kind of done with running down corridors. What do you think, Rory?"

"How about somewhere romantic?" The Doctor starts the Tardis and Peyton knowingly gets a grip on the side of the console as they leave Earth.

• • • 

"Venice!" The Doctor opens his arms as Peyton, Rory, and Amy file out of the TARDIS. "Venezia! La Serenissima! Impossible city, preposterous city! Founded by refugees running from Attila the Hun. It was just a collection of little wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world. Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding, constantly, just beautiful. Ah, you got to love Venice."

Peyton wanders through the markets alongside the Doctor, still trying to get her head around the fact that she's actually in Venice in the sixteenth century. All the smells, the sounds, it's all so beautiful.

"So many people did," the Doctor continues. "Byron, Napoleon, Casanova. Ooh, that reminds me," he looks at his watch. "1580, that's alright, Casanova doesn't get born for a hundred and forty-five years. Don't want to run into him, I owe him a chicken."