A Good Man Goes to War

'Battle' turned out to be a very vague description of what to wear.

Peyton settles on a pair of black army pants (pockets, so many pockets), her trusty Doc Martins, and a slim-fitting grey shirt, made out of a tough and almost metal-like fabric. She looks at the tag and sees that the shirt is made out of minuscule chain mail, not at all abrasive to the skin. She throws on an undershirt just in case but she's confident that nothing says 'battle' more like a shirt that will actually protect her.

After meeting with the Doctor, Peyton got Rory up who immediately wanted to talk to the Doctor so the small breakfast room was empty.

Most meals, they ate at fun restaurants with the Doctor, he seemed to have an unlimited amount of money. One time they had dinner at an antigravity restaurant where the chairs were attached to the table and she was strapped to her chair. They didn't serve any soups or saucy food, for obvious reasons.

The atmosphere of the TARDIS knowing Amy was in danger was spine chilling. She is angry, worried, upset, and horrified all at once, resulting in kind of a still numbness within her.

• • •

"I know he said 'battle', but really?" Peyton raises an eyebrow as Rory strolls through the TARDIS doors after intimidating an entire Cyber-legion wearing his full Roman centurion outfit, she hadn't seen that in a long time.

The spectacle was truly something to behold, but the tiny bit of fear that sprung into the back of Peyton's mind when she saw the look in the Doctor's eye as he pressed that button, sending balls of flame shooting out into the darkness from those ships.

"It was his idea," he shrugs flatly.

"Rory, just in time, you and Peyton can go and grab Dr Song for me," the Doctor says from the other side of the console.

"Why can't you?" She frowns.

"Because, Peyton, I've had a very busy day and I look like a mess," the Doctor glares at her as if this were obvious before looking into the monitor on the console, fixing his hair and Peyton understands.

"Oh, we have to impress River, don't we," she teases.

"Shut up, or I'll stick you with the Sontaran."

Peyton looks over to Commander Strax, who she just met a few minutes ago but looks very offended.

He pulls the TARDIS to a halt. "Stormcage," he announces. "You two, out."

Peyton looks to Rory who walks past her and to the door single mindedly. Many of the characters nearby glance at him worriedly.

She steps outside the TARDIS and into the dimly lit Stormcage hallway, closing the door behind her.

"This is River Song, back in her cell." She hears her immediately. Peyton sees her just ahead of Rory, dressed up nicely in Victorian attire, waltzing across the floor and smiling widely to herself.

Peyton's never seen her so carefree.

"Oh, are you boys dressing up as Romans now? I thought nobody read my memos," she says cheerfully.

"Dr Song," Rory says, stepping toward her. "It's Rory, and Peyton."

River doesn't say anything, freezing in place.

"Sorry, have we met yet?" Peyton asks, concerned, catching up to Rory's side. "Time streams, I'm not quite sure where we are."

"Yes. Yes, we've met," she says quietly. She walks closer to the two of them. "Hello, Rory, Peyton."

"What's wrong?" Rory says, sensing her very different disposition to her usual self.

"It's my birthday," she gasps, changing the subject. "The Doctor took me ice skating on the river Thames in 1814, the last of the great frost fairs. He got Stevie Wonder to sing for me under London Bridge."