Asylum of the Daleks

Peyton rubs her eyes as she walks down the stairs of her London apartment to the sound and smell of eggs and bacon cooking on the stovetop.

"Morning, Rory," Peyton yawns as she sees her friend and recent roommate in her kitchen.

"Thought I'd make breakfast," he explains.

"Yeah, I can see that. You don't need to make me breakfast every day," she sits herself down at her kitchen table.

Rory had been staying in her study for the past few weeks after he and Amy decided to split. Peyton had become the awkward intermediary between the two and seemed to play the role of the child in their parents' divorce.

It had been just over a year since the Doctor returned Peyton to Wisteria Street. Ten months ago, he showed up for Christmas after months of radio silence clearly not dead, despite the many voice mails Peyton had left him.

Peyton opens her laptop she had left on the table the night before as she doesn't have a home office as of recently. She opens and replies to various work emails as Rory finishes making breakfast.

As a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast is placed in front of her, she shuts her laptop, pushing it aside as Rory returns to the kitchen to grab two mugs of tea.

"So, is it today?" Peyton asks tentatively as she cuts into her egg, looking at the yolk running out onto her plate rather than up at Rory across from her as they begin eating.

"I found an apartment I've got my eye on," Rory avoids the question. "One bedroom, just five minutes away from work, too."

"Rory," Peyton looks up at him, pointing her fork accusingly.

"Can't you give them to her? She doesn't want to see me anyway," he groans.

"Rory, I'm not delivering your divorce papers back and forth," Peyton sighs. She watches as Rory picks at his breakfast defeatedly, slouched in her kitchen chair dejectedly. "Anything else on the agenda?"

"I'll grab some more bacon and bread from the store on my way back," he nods. "Need anything else?"

"I finished the Jammy Dodgers last night," Peyton says between bites of toast. "If you could pick some up that would be great cause I'm going to be home late."

"I didn't think you had to go in today," Rory frowns.

"The Russian Foreign Minister has changed his itinerary and wants to speak with us this afternoon," she rolls her eyes. "We're going to have to cancel Downtown Abbey tonight, sorry."

Rory shrugs. "Nah, I'm sure I can keep myself busy."

"So when are you going to go see her?"

"She has a job at midday, she said she'd text me."

"Right," Peyton nods. "I'm leaving at eleven, then I'll see you tonight."

• • •

Peyton is pleasantly supervised when she hops onto the Tube and finds herself sharing the carriage with only one other person. It is odd for a mid-morning on a weekday but Peyton decides that this is an omen that today is going to be a good day.

She takes a seat, placing her bag next to her and adjusting her blazer. She pulls out her phone and goes through Twitter casually as the train car twists and turns under London.

A metallic whirring sound causes her to freeze, eyes fixed on her phone. Carefully, she looks up at this other passenger on the train, except the sight of her causes Peyton to seize up again.

The man has something protruding from his forehead. A Dalek eyestalk, she'd recognise it anywhere. Peyton jumps to her feet, reaching for her sonic pen from her blazer pocket.