08

You hummed to yourself as you sat by the river, soaking your feet on the cool river stream. You were waiting for Ryo to come out since you told him the other day that you were coming back that day. You wanted to tell him some stories from school, even if you know that he won't be a 100% interested in them.

"You're earlier than what you told me..." Ryo appeared from behind you, his reflection being shown on the water. 

"There's nothing to do at home, so..."

"I see..." Ryo quietly said as he sat beside you. The water spirit had gotten used to your visits, since all you did was talk about things from school or from your home. 

"Hey..." he called out to you.

You turned your head to look at him, "Yeah?"

He looked at you with a deadpanned face and asked, "Do you not have friends?"

"Wha--" you stiffened at his question, "T-That's not--"

"If you have friends, you wouldn't be here everyday..."

"I do have friends!" You shouted, pouting that Ryo assumed that you were lonely for always hanging out with a yokai.

You looked away and kept quiet, making Ryo sigh. You've been coming more frequently that there's a frowing anxiety and fear that you'd leave him again. But, he still can't push you away... so he thought of asking that if you had friends to hangout with, you wouldn't have to visit him all the time.

"Sorry. I didn't mean it that way." He says as he puts a hand on top of your head. 

You turn your head to him with a pout, "Really?"

"Yeah... I mean..." he looks away from your pouting face, trying not to blush, "You're hanging out with a yokai. Shouldn't you be hanging out with other people?" He says, taking his hand back and placing both his hands behind him to support him as he leaned back.

You looked down on your reflection and sighed, "That's true... I'm just avoiding some of them."

You took his silence to let you continue, "A guy from school confessed to me recently..."

Ryo's eyes quickly widened and in shock, he cried out, "What?!"

Surprised by his reaction, you teased, "What? Jealous?"

He flinched as he coughed on his fist, hiding a blush and calmed down, "No... I was just surprised. That's all."

You giggled, earning a glare from him. "So? You rejected him? Or what?"

"I didn't say anything... He said that he's willing to wait for a reply though."

Ryo hummed in response, "I see... So?"

"Huh?"

"Will you accept him or reject him?"

"I..."

"Is that the reason why you're avoiding your friends?"

You nodded, "They knew about the confession and they've been bothering me non-stop..."

"Why won't you accept it? His confession?" He asks you. "Humans will learn to love someone, right?" 

You nodded. 

"Why don't you give him a try then?"

You merely stare at him and then asked, "Why?"

"Hm?"

"Why are you telling me to go out with him?"

"Ah." He realizes the hidden intentions in his questions or at least, what you think his intentions are. As much as he wants to tell you that it's his selfish desire to not get hurt anymore, he also doesn't want you to feel hurt cause of him. He sighs and calmly tells you, "Human life is short... It would be a waste if you don't experience love, [Name]."

"Ryo-kun..."

He forces a smile as he pats your head, "Whatever you tell the guy, I'll be supporting you, alright?"

You nodded, "Yeah."

He continues to pat your head as he thinks, Ken's gonna lecture me...