14

You walked through now familiar path the river to meet with a certain water fairy, as a detour before heading back home. You had wanted to tell him the news before heading back, so you told yoyrself to visit after you and your partner had parted ways.

You were wondering if you were going to call his name out, remembering how much he disliked you shouting his name, when you saw him standing by the riverside, looking at his reflection. Smiling mischivously, you crept up on him quietly to surprise him. 

"I know you're here." He says, without having to look back. 

"Geh!" You let out a surprised noise before pouting, "How?"

He lets out an amused scoff and turned around to look at you with a smirk, "I have my ways."

You roll your eyes at his answer, "Anyway... I'll be graduating tomorrow~" you tell him excitedly.

Ryo's eyes widened by a slight fraction before returning to his calm composure in a split second, "I... see." He says slowly. 

You nodded, "Yeah!" You then noticed the sun about to set and realized that you had to be home soon, "Ah shoot! I have to go, see you tomorrow, Ryo-kun!" Before Ryo could say anything else, you had already ran back and out of earshot.

Ryo lets out a sigh, "Tomorrow, huh?"

---

You whistle happily as you walked side-by-side with your boyfriend. "Someone's happy. Normally, graduation is a sad event." He tells you with an amused smile. 

You stop whistling and smile, "I'm happy cause I get to eat your mom's cooking tonight. Even if graduation is a sad event!" You argue, earning a chuckle from him. "I see. My mom would be happy to hear that." He says, gently patting your head.

"Anyway. This is where I go. I'll see you tonight?"

You nod, "Yeah!"

---

You jogged towards the river and quickly caught sight of Ryo as soon as the river came into view, "Ryo-kun!"

"Eh?" The water spirit looked to where he heard his name and saw you running towards him, "Ah..."

You stopped just by the riverbank and asked, "What are you doing in the water?"

"I'm a water spirit... Why wouldn't I be in here?" He answers with a question. You huffed and muttered, "Smartass."

"What?"

"Nothing."

Ryo raised an eyebrow in suspicion and then asked, "So? What are you doing here?"

"Oh! Right!" You rummaged through your bag and took out a black cylindrical case that had a ribbon tied to it. "I just graduated earlier!"

"Oh..."

You sheepishly scratch your cheek, "Normally, graduating high school is a pretty sad event, but... I don't feel that lonely so--"

"Cause he's coming with you?" He lightly teases. You blush in embrassment, "Tha--"

He chuckles a bit before walking towards the dry land, "So you're leaving soon." He says with slightly sad tone. You knew it wasn't a question, especially when you had told him about it before, especially when you had gotten your entrance exam results.

Finally realizing the loneliness you'll feel without the water fairy, you frowned, "Yeah." Of course you won't be lonely, per se... But realizing that you'd be leaving him again and what if you forget about him once more.

...Forget him?

You froze at the thought and panicked. You had once forgotten about him, and after half-a-year of visiting him from time to time -- to forget that made you feel awful and guilty. If you forget him again, would you be sure that he'd forgive you again?

That would be unfair... and sad.

"Hey." 

You were brought out of your thoughts as he had lightly tapped your shoulder, "You there?" He asks you, "You alright?" 

You let out a small nod. "Ah... I should get going. My family and I are having dinner at his place, you see..."

He lets out a small smile, "Is that so... Well then, you better go."

"Yeah."

Just as you were about to enter the forest, he quickly called out you name. "Yeah?" You turn your head to face him.

"Er.." he musters a gentle smile and says, "Congratulations in graduating...[Name]."

You were surprised by the sudden greeting and soon let out an embrassed sheepish smile, "Thank you."