Chapter 10: Midst of the Deads Road

Azie's POV

"So what are we gonna do?"

I took a deep breath bago sila tiningnan at nag salita.

"Dearil will stick this bus to them once they have time to turn at the intersection ahead and get closer to us. After that, I, Arius, and Gifflet will go to the rooftop and then I'm going to jump to the other bus while Giff and Arius will stay on the rooftop as I'll lead them to both of you. And you Kaliya, you'll guard the entrance and watch for any signs of infected and definitely you have to kill them while Dearil's still driving. But first, let's look for ropes or anything that we can clutch later. " I instructed and without any  questions and hesitations they acted immediately.

"You stay here Kaliya and talk to them." Saad ko saka tiningnan ang lalagyan ng mga bags sa uluhan namin.

"Gotcha!" I looked at Gifflet who's now holding a rope on his right hand while the other one is gripping the steel bar on his head to maintain his stand.

Inihagis nya ito sa direksyon ko na agad ko namang nasalo.

I spotted Chelsea, one of my classmates on Bio as I inch the window. I counted all the people inside. Seven.

"Chelsea Hanna!" I shouted at nakitang inilabas nya ang kanyang ulo sa bintana.

"Omo! Azie it's you!" She exclaimed as if she's going to cry.

"Oo at wala na akong panahon para makipag chikahan sayo so pull yourself together and listen to me!"

"Okay okay!"

I took a deep breath first saka binuksan ulit ang bintana at inilabas ng kaunti ang ulo.

It will be difficult for them to stick to us now because there are still cars scattered on the road.

"Listen! See that intersection?" Sigaw ko saka tinuro ang intersection na nasa unahan namin. Tumango naman ito.

"At the next intersection, you must stick your bus on our side and we'll help you get through here!" I shouted with all my might regardless of how fierce the wind blowing my hair to my face and the trees blocking us and of course our bus swerving to avoid cars.

"What?" Ulit nya. Huminga ulit ako ng malalim saka sumigaw at inulit uli sa kanya ang sinabi ko kanina.

"Okay! Got it!"

I shut the window and I faced my companions.

"They'll turn at the next intersection so let's get ready. The three of us will put this rope on our waists, while Giff will tie the end of it in the metal bar and he'll help Kaliya transferring the students from their bus to the rooftop until they got inside. " They all nodded.

I looked in front again and walk towards Dearil.

"You ready?" I asked him. He just nods and so I am.

I bent first to get all my hair and then tied it into a high ponytail. I don't want the plan to fail just because of my hair.

I looked back again at the three and nod my head.

"Let's get this done." I look outside first to see if there is any infected and when we saw nothing aside from cars, I opened the bus door and then carefully climbed on the metal ladder bar on the side of the door.

Arius follows behind me.

I immediately balanced myself after I got from the roof of the bus praying I don't stumble on my own feet due to the force of the wind and unsteady driving.

"They're getting nearer." Arius said behind me. I nodded as we waited for Gifflet to climb up so we can wrap the rope around our waists and to the edge of the metal bar of the bus.

Ng maka akyat na si Gifflet ay mabilis naming pinulupot ng tali ang aming bewang. Medyo mahaba nga lang ang sakin since tatalon ako sa kabilang bus para kunin at alalayan sina Chelsea at ang iba pa.

I saw Chelsea waiting at the open door of the bus and when they found the right time, they quickly turned and stick to our bus, enough for them to jump on ours.

Buti na lang at maayos ang pag liko nila kundi kanina pa nataob ang bus na sinasakyan namin.

"Good job." I muturred and glanced at Arius and Gifflet.

"You guys ready?" Tumango naman sila kaya humarap na ako kina Chelsea.

"Hey! I'll jump na!" I shouted and saw her nodded. I counted to 3 and then jumped to the other side. When I got to the roof of their bus, I grabbed the steel bar and peeked at them.

"Here! The heaviest of you first!" I cried out lending my hand habang naka luhod as I felt my face being stretched because of the wind. Chelsea nodded and helped one of them whom I think is a 10th grader.

"You go and watch your steps. That guy will help you so try to breathe calmly and focus." I said while pointing in Arius's direction.

"Y-yes." She nods her head kaya tumango naman ako kay Arius at ganun din ang ginawa nya.

"In the count of three... one, two, three!" And she jumped. They're only seven of them and six still need to go.

Next, I reached my hand out to a guy with glasses. He was a little heavier than the previous one and so I had a hard time lifting him even though there was a metal ladder on the side just like our bus.

"Hold tight!" I heard Dearil shouted and then out of nowhere, the bus swerves harshly making me flinch and missed my step.

My head bang at the steel bar making my world spin for a second.

I touched my forehead and saw something sticky and red.

"Shit." Malutong kong mura saka tumingin sa harapan.

Nakita kong hiniwalay ni Dearil ang bus namin at ang bus kung nasaan ako dahil sa mga infected na paparating. Mabuti na lang at mataas ang tali ko kaya tanging out of balanced lang ang nangyari.

"Azie!" I heard Arius shouted.

Mabilis akong kumapit sa steel bar and balanced myself just in time for some infected at the side of the metal ladder and claw its way towards me. Kaliya fired a shot right at its head.

"Fuck." That's a close call.