Chapter 16: Safe Haven

Azie's POV

"I think... we have to go.." I heard Chelsea mumbled after a long deafening silence.

I can still feel the ringing in my ears from the shot that Helen just fired.

"I.. leave me alone for the moment please." Helen said without looking at us.

"Sure." I replied and walked away from her. Arius and others did the same.

I can't help but feel responsible because of what happened. I lean my back at the bus and stared at my own shaking hands.

My lips started to quiver. Shit.

"Hey.." I looked up and saw Arius walking towards me. He saw my hands shaking and he immediately held it.

"Look, it's not your fault Azie." He started. I can feel a strong emotion rising from my system. My eyes started to sting.

No! I can't cry! I have to be strong.

"I..." My voice broke. I can feel a lump forming into my throat as Im looking for words to say but found none.

He didn't said anything, instead he just engulfed me into a tight but warm hug.

I'm not an emotional type of a person. My parents raised me to become strong and independent at a times where I felt like its my downfall or I feel so hopeless. They told me crying won't make any changes for the things that already happened and so I can't cry.

I lean my head on Arius shoulder and forced my eyes shut. I think I'm starting to feel comfortable on his arms.

"Please don't blame yourself..." I heard him said that made me snap out of my thoughts and pulled away from him.

I saw his expression changed into something I can't decipher and then turned back into his emotionless face.

"I don't think I should go with you." I shifted my gaze from Arius to Helen's face. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying.

"What do you mean?" Dearil asked.

"Yeah, what are you talking about?" It's Kaliya. We all stared at Helen. Waiting for her reason.

Instead of saying anything, she just showed us her right arm. My heart dropped.

"Y-you're bitten too..." Roxanne said stuttering. I balled my fist and bit my lower lip hard that I felt it bleed.

"Fuck!" I blurted out. Pissed off with myself and trying not to cry.

"A-azie.." Helen called out to me. I can hear the girls started crying. I faced Helen.

"I don't blame you, 'kay? I mean... all you did is to save us.. you helped us live and I can't give you anything in return for your goodness. All I wanted is that... don't blame yourself... it's not your fault. It's no ones.." She said holding my hand while crying. I shut my eyes, not wanting to see her reaction.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered as I open my eyes. I saw her smiling at me.

"It's okay.. I prefer to stay with Alby. You know, he was my man before all this things happened. After all, I wanted him to be the last person I see before..." I nodded. I get what she means.

Tumingin sya sa kasama namin at ngumiti.

"Thank you guys, for everything..." She said. She raised the gun she's holding.