Chapter 14: Infected

Third Person's POV

It's already two in the morning and you can see in everyone's faces how exhausted and tired they are. Even though they're sleepy, seven of the survivors were trying to wake themselves up.

They can't fall asleep. No way.

All of them were quietly and cautiously watching their surroundings.

Arius lips twitched into a smile watching the girl beside him who's trying not to sleep doing that cute little 'close-open' thing with her eyes just like Chelsea who's on the other car's hood laying with her back, slapping herself to stay awake.

The guy glanced at his other companions. Flora is sleeping beside the little girl Azie and Gifflet brought with them earlier. Kaliya besides Luna eyes closed but not asleep.

Helen and Alby gazing at their weapons. Alby was cleaning his weapon while Helen's talking to her in a low voice.  He also saw Rodrick added another batch of wood into the dying bonfire making sure everyone's not cold and shivering into the dark and gloomy night.

Roxanne, Gifflet and Dearil were inside the little circle they made in front of the fire, eyes close but just like Kaliya, he's sure they're not fully asleep.

Everyone's still stuck on the situation where they can't accept the fact that what they saw on tv, those gore-ravishing monsters they called zombies and the apocalypse were real and is actually happening to their very own city and maybe even to the whole world.

He heaved a very long sigh and look-up to the very bright moon.

If everything's still fine, maybe this kind of atmosphere is great for someone who'll snuck out of their bedroom just to go in a secret date under the moonlit night.

But it's not. And that's reality.

If you look at them, you'll think these guys were doing some out of town trip and suddenly think of camping. Gala with barkada if you could say. But it's far from what they've imagined.

It's the reality where they have to fight and kill to survive. A reality that all of them were not even sure if they can survive. To see the light of the next day.

It's horrifying and scary to just even think.

"Kaya pa?" Arius just smirked hearing that remark on Drake. He's out of the bus, stretching and yawning.

Arius nodded at him and glanced back at Azie. She's now fully asleep. Sleeping soundly as if everything that just happened is a nightmare.

"Why does she looks cute when sleeping rather than awake." He muttered to himself.  He shook his head and put his coat around Azie before deciding to climb down.

"You look like a dipshit bro." Dearil greeted him after he settled in front of the bonfire. He saw each of them had beer in can.

They're drinking but they're not drunk. They can't be drunk.

"Shut up, asshole." He replied and took a swig from the beer Gifflet handed him.

Everyone's awake except all the girls and it's fine for them.

He saw Drake glanced at someone, specifically the girl that's on the car's hood.

"How's Azie up there?" Drake asked glancing back at him.

"Just like that girl you were gazing at."

"Oh! Shut up man!" Arius chuckled after seeing Drake's reaction. He knows Drake. He knows that he's the student union's president but they're not really that close.

Soon, they fell into a deep but comfortable silence. Each one thinking for any possible ways how everything turned upside down in just a day.

***

A loud crash woken everyone up. Arius glanced at the back end of the road and saw a car crashes under a tree.

"Fuck." He cursed.

All the boys were now wide awake and was drawing their guns towards the car's direction when they heard a loud distinct shriek.

"No fucking way..." They all said in unison. Dearil grabbed Flora, Luna and Kaliya and ushered them inside the bus.

"Get inside." Gifflet said and started shooting as another shriek can be heard. The air around them became tensed.

"Someone's inside the car." Alby stated and started walking towards the crashed car inspecting it.

"Alby wait!" Helen shouted but then, Alby already opened the door. Arius and the other guys held their guns tight as their muscles tensed up.

"Relax. Someone's injured!" Alby stated. Helen, Drake and Gifflet came running towards his direction.

"Ma'am..? hey... wake up.." Alby jostled the wounded woman. Head bleeding unconscious.

"I think you should leave her.." Kaliya warned in a worried tone.

"She's fine you know—" Alby was cut off when the woman screeched.

Lahat sila ay nanlaki ang mga mata ng makitang nag iba ang mukha ng sugatang babae.

Then a sudden movement at the back seat. One infected jumped in their view. Rodrick aim and shot it.

"Get the fuck out of there!" Arius shouted.

Azie slowly opens her eyes and roam around her surroundings. It's noisy. Too much noise that sounds exactly like a gun shot.

"Shit!" She cursed under her breath after seeing a crowd of infected coming in their direction. She saw Alby, Rodrick, Gifflet, Kaliya, Chelsea and Helen scurrying for their weapons.

"Morning." Arius greeted her after knowing she's awake.

"What the fuck dude?! Why didn't you wake me up?!" She quickly stood her stance at the top of the bus and joined Arius in shooting.

"I see you need that sleep. Get in the bus everyone! We're leaving!" He shouted amidst the gunshot noise.

Arius jumped down the rooftop as she followed and climbed inside the bus. Drake and Chelsea were inside the car whilst the others were with Azie.

Dearil floored the bus and left after Drake did the same in the car in front of them.

"How the hell they found us?" Azie asked, confusion clearly shown in her face.

"I think it's a survivor from the city. Her car crashed under the tree not far away from where we are. Alby and others looked if the driver's still alive and then the woman suddenly made a high shrill piercing cry. One infected jumped, Rod shot it then followed by a large crowd of them." Chelsea explained while catching her breath.

"Shit. That's... crazy." Azie mumbled and slowly took a seat.

The bus fell into silence. Tension filled the air as their minds racing what to say to comfort each other. No, no one can.

Lost in thoughts where to go next.

"Now, where should we go?"

👣

Where are you guys from?