Chapter 13: Briefcase

Kaliya's POV

Ouch.

What Arius said freaking hurts. It feels like a slap to my face.

And he's a jerk for doing that to me. But I think it's all my fault. The four of us vowed to each other that we'll treat each other like a family, a brother and sister. Nothing more, nothing less.

But fuck this. I've fallen for him since we're 10! I've been liking him for seven fucking years. And what he did to me last night makes my feelings towards him, more stronger.

He liked someone, Kaliya. Stop your delusions!

I scolded myself. Yeah, he liked her.

Ever since that day he said he saw her, he never stoped talking about her and looking for her.

To hell with him! I don't care if he likes someone, I just wish he'll let me like him.

"You alright, girl?" I looked up and saw Roxanne raising a brow at me. I don't fully know this girl here but I can tell she's someone you can trust.

I once saw her competing for math tournament or something. She's smartass.

Maybe I can trust her aside from those three boys. Who knows after all of this apocalyptic thing, we'll be a family since we only have each others backs.

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine." I replied and averted my gaze away from her. She sat beside me together with the other students who's silently chattering in front of the bonfire.

Flora, Alby, Rodrick and Chelsea were cooking something canned foods we bought from that secret room on our way here. While Drake- the president of student union and Helen which I heard one of the scholars of the university were talking about something while setting some wait- is that banana leaves? Where did they get that? Anyways, the two were setting it up maybe for our temporary bed later. Dearil and Arius were sitting at the top of the hood of the bus. Gawking at us and our surroundings.

"It's been an hour already, bakit hindi pa sila dumarating?" I heard Chelsea.

At the side of my eyes, I saw Arius went stiff.

"Maybe they're on their way already..." Says Drake.

We all fell into silence. Tanging tunog lang ng nagbabagang apoy at kahoy sa aming harapan ang maririnig. And I guess all of us were still thinking how everything ends like this in just a blink of an eye.

I shut my eyes and heaved a sigh. I just hope they're fine.

Minutes passed by in a deep silence when we heard a car's engine. All of us readied our weapons and was in our stance if ever someone infected is coming this way.

I held my breath as the car came into a hakt right in front of us and the driver seat door opened revealing the distress Gifflet.

I stared at him in horror and averted my gaze towards Arius.

He also has the same look I have.

Azie's POV

"Hey..." I called out and crouched in front of him when he suddenly grabbed my arms in an aggressive manner.

Shit.

"Azie!" Gifflet shouted as I heard him ready to pull the trigger.

"Gifflet! Wait!" I shouted back as I looked at him. He was about to open his mouth when I shook my head.

I averted my gaze back at the man.

"He-help my d-daughter... p-please help her!" He said and shakily pointed the door at the back of the shop.