Taken

I squinted as the sun hit my eyes. The dry grass tickled my neck as I stared at the sky. Things were great, but they were going to take a turn for the worst. Although I didn't know it at the time, my whole world was going to change in an instant. I didn't care though. I guess you could call it young love because next to me was my best friend. Who also happened to be my boyfriend.

Minho grabbed my hand and held it for a few minutes. He knew that I was terrified. Today, people from the government were going to check if I had the Flare. The Flare is a disease that can eventually drive you insane. Minho was nervous too, but he wasn't showing it. "It's going to be okay, I promise." he told me.

"I hope." I said.

Then, I heard my mother call my name. "Mae! Come on, they are here."

I took a deep breath and marched to my house. The minute I walked through the door, I was surrounded by strangers in white outfits. My mother had tears in her eyes. The strangers lead me to a chair where they could test me. The needle that they took out glistened in the light. I yelped as they met my flesh.

They dragged the needle out. I grimaced with the pain, and then my cheek started to bleed. I had been biting down on it the whole time. At the computer, they checked my results. "We will be back with the results tomorrow." Only when they left did I burst into tears. Minho burst through the door and comforted me. He had been waiting for me the whole time.

THE NEXT DAY

It was 10 a.m when we heard a knock at the door. Outside the door were the strangers in the white suit again. They had a serious look on their face that made my heart drop. "We have good news for you. Your daughter is immune to the Flare. We would like to speak to you privately."

I ran outside right after they finished talking. The meadow was my destination. There, sitting among the flowers, was Minho. He was grinning from ear to ear. I ran straight into his arms and stayed there for what seemed like hours. "I'm immune!" I shrieked.

"So am I!" he said, and we laughed.

It wasn't meant to be comical. It was for happiness. We could live a life together and not have to worry about killing each other. Our joy lasted for only a few moments when the strangers came back. "Mae, you are coming with us to the Maze. There, we will test your brain and will power. So you can say your last good bye. It wouldn't matter either way because you will forget each other." the leader said in a flat tone.

I stood in shock. Never would I imagine forgetting Minho. I was going to say something when Minho spoke up. "What do you mean that I will forget her. Wherever she goes, I go. If you take her, I will search for her. I would never forget her."

"But you see, we are taking you as well. We will be erasing your mind, and all this nonsense will come to an end." the stranger replied.

Minho didn't waste another second. He grabbed my wrist and ran. We ran as fast as we could without looking back. Finally, we made it to our tree. This was where we went to just get away. We had a few seconds to rejoice because they were there already. Minho started to run and punch them. I realized that he was trying to buy me time.

I bolted in between the men, but they grabbed me by my hair. I screamed with the pain. "No! Don't hurt her!" he began to struggle while they held him.

I tried to fight them, kicking and punching, but it was no use. Painfully, I looked at Minho. He was still fighting. 'Oh my Minho, always fighting.' I thought. Then, the men in the white suits began to drag me to their car. "Minho! I tried; please don't let them take me!" I screamed.

When I turned to look at him, I saw them knock him out. "No! Minho, no! Stop now!" I was sobbing by that point.

Then, the lights went out........