Change

2 years later

The sweat was dripping on my forehead. I had just come back from running, and I had found the best news possible. It was... a way out. I ran to the headquarters, but nobody was there. Everyone was gathering to the Box.

"What's going on here?" I asked.

"A new person."

I made my way to the front. I had earned my respect around here. Inside, was a new girl, but I didn't here her name. Susan took her hand and pulled her out. She looked at everyone and said, "Get back to work."

We went back to head quarters, and I told them about what I found. They looked at me with respect and curiousity. "Now," I said, "Lets get planning."

We all went to our stations and got to work. As night approached, we got suited up. "Everyone grab your tools. Run to the edge of the Maze and continue to look for ways we could get out. Remember, be safe."

All ten of us gathered around the opening. My heart started to beat as they counted down. Then, we ran once again. This time though, we had a new recruit. The new girl bolted inside, and, as the leader, I had to run after her. "Stop! You don't know what you're doing!"

She kept on running. I had to abandon my plans and rescue this.... this...... Ugh! We eventually made it to the end of the Maze. Her eyes widened, and I realized that right in front of us, was a Greiver. I got out my long dagger and stood in front of the girl. "Stay back!"

The newbie nodded her head. The Greiver charged at me, but I dodged it. I chopped one of its arms off, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw two of the runners test the escape. Then, they ran back. It was almost daylight so, I turned around and ran back, pulling the newbie along with me.

When we got to the exit, the newbie fell in the grass. The runners looked at me and told me the result. Nothing. By that time, I was fuming. "What was that for? What's your problem? Do you have any sense?"

She looked at me. "No! Can't a girl be a little curious? What's the big deal anyway?"

"You could have gotten us killed! We were looking for a way to get to the exit of this prison! You cost us everything! What if someone died? Do you ever think?"

She didn't reply. I was this close to charging at her. Someone held me back. It was Susan. "Calm down Mae. We can do this again."

"You wouldn't understand. You haven't been through what I have been through. You don't understand the Maze." Then, I walked away.

My anger was starting to cool off. I lay in my bed holding my notebook. I still haven't forgotten my promise. Nothing will stop me, not even that girl.

The Next Day

I woke up. The events from last night rushed in. In the kitchen, Deana handed me my breakfast. "You all right?" she asked.

"Yeah. I can't believe that after all this, one girl had to ruin it. I don't think I can forgive her."

"You will have to learn to."

"I know."

After I ate my breakfast, I went to head quarters. Everyone was working as hard as they could. They made me so proud. I was in the middle of cracking a code when a siren went off. Another gathering at the box?

I was the first to make it there. I peered inside and was in for the shock of my life. A boy was inside. I reached my hand in and pulled him out. When he saw the new girl, he spoke. "Rachel." it sounded like. "Remember me? Aris?"

Then, he was out like a light. "What just happened?" I said.

Behind me, the head gardener, Stacy, picked him up to take him to the hospital. He looked different from the last boy I remembered. It was a first for everyone except me.

Nobody could concentrate that well the rest of the day. Everyone had something to say. Not to mention that no supplies has showed up yet. There was definitely something going on, and I will find out.