Surprise

Of course, I knew things weren't going to be this easy. All the weapons were gone. On the wall, painted in deep red colors, was a message. It read:

You have done well. You are ahead of the others. Can you survive without your weapons but the ones you have? If you make it, see you on the other side.

We stared at each other. Rachel walked towards the computer. I turned to everyone. "Listen up! Just because we do not have our weapons, doesn't mean we are useless or defenseless. You are your greatest asset. Get ready."

I had my long dagger with me, luckily. We got our backpacks on and walked to the Maze. When we got in, we looked for a way to jump. We threw rocks and any object that was expendable. Then, I heard a shout from one of the Runners. "Mae! It's me, Ana! I found it!"

"Great!" I ran over to her.

I examined the opening. Rachel wrote it down on the map. We started to walk back to the opening. Then, we heard a sound.

It was that horrible Griever. I got out my dagger and readied myself. It charged at me. I slashed at its arm and turned. "Run guys!"

I ran as fast as I could. Rachel twisted her ankle, only to find out that it was broken. I carried her. Sweat was dripping, and my adrenaline was pumping.The Griever was catching up. I pushed her through the opening.

Then, I got stabbed in my shoulder. I ran through the opening. When I got in, I let out all my emotions. I screamed.

The pain was unbearable. The danger was immense. The excitement over the new discovery was amazing. The hope and fear finally got to me as well. They carried me to the hospital. Rachel was gripping my hand.

As much as I wanted to sleep, I didn't. I couldn't. They tried to get me to sleep. I refused it all. I took the map from Rachel and looked at it. I'm so close. I thought.

They applied cream to my wound. I screamed with the pain. After they applied it, they went to get the bandages. Then, I started to see things.

"No! Don't touch me! Stop! Help!" I screamed.

Tears were gushing out. I remembered the boy again, Minho. When they came back, I started to lash out. My fright turned into pleads. "Please! Leave us alone!"

I heard Rachel talk to them. "Make her sleep now!"

She was so worried. I started to calm down. Her wrinkles of worry made me 'trust' her more. She looked me in the eye and said, "I visited Aris. We need to crack the code. While you recover, we will do it. He has been working on it. Now, relax."

The nurses then injected me with the sleeping meds. The last thing I saw before I slept were Rachel's eyes. The thought of Minho was still on my mind.