Caught

I walked around the corner of the Den. Rachel was ahead of me, clueless of my presence. I had been following her, and it's not as creepy as it sounds. I wanted answers. Who is this girl? What happened to the supplies? Will she and that boy stop us from escaping? Most importantly, will they stop me from fulfilling my promise?

She ran outside, heading straight for the hospital. She was going to visit the boy, Aris! I snook in as she sat down by the boy. He was still unconcious. Then, surprisingly, she spoke, "Look, Aris, I don't remember who you are. As a matter of fact, I don't know who I am. This is all new to me. I know that I am on Mae's bad side. She keeps giving me looks and muttering about a promise. I don't know why I ran into that death hole. I know I will regret everything, but I remember some things. I remember that we used to be friends-"

She was going to continue when Aris opened his eyes. I hid behind the wall with my ear pressed up against it. "I wanted to tell you one thing," by this time I was writing this all down, "we created the Maze. I don't know why, but we did. We need to escape."

I had my mouth open in shock. They did this? Why? After I heard their discussion, I ran down the hallway. I went to the Den because I just needed to think. There were so many things going off in my head

Should I tell Susan? I had become close with her, so would she believe me? In my journal, I wrote down all my thoughts. Then, I tried to organize them. I had to figure out what to do.

First, I have to confront Rachel. I need to figure out why and what she is going to do. It seemed like a good idea, but it would mean admitting that I was eavesdropping. Think, think, think.

Then, I got it. I would have to talk to Rachel first. That is the right thing to do. I would make it up from there. I wrote it all down.

I was walking down the hallway when I heard someone call my name. I turned..... and saw Rachel. "You've been spying on me?"

Then, I was caught. "Listen, meet me at the edge of the forest at ten o'clock."

She nodded as I left.

TONIGHT

I stood at the edge of the forest, waiting. I saw Rachel walking towards me. "What is it?"

"What is this between you and Aris? What do you have planned?"

She looked at me. "We are going to try to find a way to jump to the entrance."

"Uh huh, and how do you plan on doing that if you aren't a Runner? Did you crack this code or something?"

"Well, you can help. We don't need to crack that code because you already figured it out. That's what Aris said."

"Who said that I was going to help you?"

"I've heard about this promise. This gets you closer to that."

"Fine, but we have to tell Susan everything."

"Fine."

We shake hands and return to the Den.

THE NEXT DAY

Rachel and I walk up to Susan. "Hey Mae and ..... Rachel?"

"Yeah, we need to talk."

"Okay."

We tell Susan everything. She listens the whole time. After we finish, she nods. "Okay, lets get planning."

We walk to head quarters. Little did we know that we were in for a big surprise.