(14) SIBLINGS

Caroline's P.O.V

I stood gaping like a fish out of water as I looked at her in shock. I can't believe I never noticed it before. Both Henry and Layla had similar features the only difference being their hair. Henry had dark brown hair and Layla had dark red hair. Of course Layla had dyed her hair and I just remembered that she was originally a brunette.

"So that means Gloria is your grandma?" I ask gently.

Layla's head snapped up and her eyes met mine "You know her?"

Nodding, I responded "Yeah she lives with both Benjamin and Henry." I explained then continued "But I don't think Henry knows that she is his grandma since he always calls her Gloria."

Layla gave me a sad look "Knowing grandma she wouldn't want him to think that he had been abandoned. Sometimes it is better to think that you were born into it and not that you were sold in."

Reaching my arm out, I gave Layla a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder "Hey, it's going to be okay we can talk to Gloria and see what we can do."

She nods and stands up "Can you take me to her?"

"Yes, let's go." We stood up and began walking towards the back lot. Walking briskly, we made sure to scan the area before heading into the back lot. Glancing around, I instantly recognized my surroundings and darted off to Benjamin's house.

Layla was right behind me as we made a series of turns before making it to the house. "It's that blue one." I pointed out as we got nearer. I heard Layla gulp out loud as we stood in front of the house. She turned to look at me, worry clearly written on her face, and said "What if she hates me?"

Staring at her I sighed "Layla she would never hate you. If anything I'm sure she will be glad to see you."

Layla stared back at me and gave me a nod. She exhaled and then walked up to the door with her head up high and determined. Shakily, she rose her hand and knocked on the door twice. After a few minutes the door opened to reveal an annoyed Benjamin. Layla gasped as she saw his bruises as he simply rolled his eyes.

He scowled at the sight of us mostly me but then sighed and said "What do you two need?"

"We need to speak to Gloria." Layla said trying to keep her voice calm but I knew she was nervous as she kept fiddling with her fingers.

Benjamin rose an eyebrow and opened the door wider to let us in. He stared at us with a bit of curiosity as we entered. I tried to avoid eye contact and constantly found myself averting my eyes from Ben's. I could tell he was still mad over the fight we had earlier from the way he tensed when we entered.

"Gloria, there are people here who want to talk to you." Benjamin shouted.

"On my way." Gloria shouted from which I assume to be the kitchen.

Not long after Gloria walked into the living room with a concerned look on her face she froze when Layla stood up from the makeshift couch. "Grandma it's me." Layla said as her eyes teared up.

Gloria gasped and stuttered out "Honeeyy Bee?"

Layla nodded as she launched herself at Gloria who hugged her as they both began to cry. "I thought you were dead." Layla muttered as she clung on to Gloria. Gloria shook her head and hugged her harder as she whispered comforting words to Layla "Now now honey bee don't cry."

I smiled at the sight of them and turned to look at Benjamin who had on a look of bewilderment. Laughing, I turned back to see Layla and Gloria now sitting on the couch. Layla's face was one of happiness and Gloria's mirrored it.

It was silent for awhile and then the sound of the door opening caught everyone's attention. Soon Henry walked into the living room and smiled when he saw everyone. Layla stood up and walked over to him. He stared at her with curiosity as she bent down in front of him.

Layla gave him a friendly smile and said carefully "Hi I'm Layla. I am your older sister."

Henry stared at her in shock as she hugged him to her. Silent tears started streaming down his face as he stared at her. I smiled and looked over at Benjamin, he had a small smile on his face but I could see the pain and longing in his eyes.

I decided that it would be best to leave with Benjamin and give the family some privacy. "Hey, I forgot to do something I need to go." I said and looked over at Benjamin "Can you help me?"

He nodded and we both made our way out of the house. We walked in silence out of the back lot when I turned to look at him I noticed how lost in thought he looked. Glancing around I saw no one was around and quickly made my way towards the fence.

Climbing up I quickly pulled myself over and stood on the other side. Benjamin stared at me in shock as I said: "Come on let's go." He quickly jumped over and followed me as I led the way to his spot. I knew he needed some time to just relax.

I know he is happy for Gloria and Henry but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt him to be reminded of the fact that he has no family. I watched silently as he sat in a field of orange wild lilies. Benjamin closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. The wind was gentle today, a warm breeze was all that was felt. I sat on the ground in front of Benjamin and watched as the evening breeze hit his black hair sweeping it over his forehead.

I remembered that I had my bag on and took it off. Rummaging through it I found some snacks like chocolate bars, gummy worms, and a small pack of fruit snacks. I smiled and took them out laying them in front of me.

"Hungry?" I asked as Benjamin opened his eyes and stared at me.

Hesitantly, he nodded and I smiled and handed him a chocolate bar. He took it giving me a small grateful smile. Unwrapping it he took a bite of the chocolate and smiled. "It's been years since I've had chocolate." He told me.

I smiled "Well have some more." I said taking another two bars out my bag.

Benjamin gave me a small smile and looks off into the distance " My mother used to give me some as a young boy. Of course, it wasn't a full bar but it was still something."

I stared at him silently as he continued to talk of his mother "She was amazing. She used to sing to me and tell me stories."

"She sounds wonderful." I said softly.

Benjamin looked at me and smiled softly then looked back out into the distance giving me a view of his tattoo "Yeah she was."

I could tell he was hurting so I followed my instincts and stood up. I made my way towards his side and sat next to him. I cautiously brought my hand up and took a hold of his giving it a gentle squeeze. He surprisingly didn't pull away instead he held my hand tighter as I gave him some comfort.

We must have been there forever in silence when we finally noticed that the sun was setting. Standing up, we both began to walk back to the circus in silence. Our hands still interlocked together as we walked back. Once we made it to the fence we let go of each other's hands and climbed over.

We both walked back to Benjamin's house and entered. I saw that Layla was playing a game with Henry on the floor. I smiled then looked at Layla "We must go our shift is almost over." She nodded and told me she would be out in a moment.

Nodding I made my way outside to wait for her. Not long after we were all outside as Layla said goodbye. We both walked away but I was stopped when a hand reached out and grabbed my wrist. Turning back I saw Benjamin staring at me, his silver eyes intense, he looked at me and muttered: "I was wrong."

I started at him confused as he said "Not all are bad." before retreating back into his house. I smiled and continued walking with Layla.

My only thought as I walked home was "Not all are bad."

-M.O