(23) THE MUTE

Caroline's P.O.V

"Welcome to the Cirque de Insanity little Unfortunate." 

My lips trembled as I visibly shook in fear. I felt my eyes widen as the ringleader gave a wider grin seeming to be basking in my fear. How sick can someone be to enjoy instilling fear in others? 

The ringleader was a tall man one who seemed to be around his late 30's maybe early 40's. He was wearing a standard red coattail that all ringleader officials wear and his blond hair was neatly gelled back. His blue eyes connected with mine and I saw a flash of tiredness in his expression. As quickly as it came, it was gone and silence consumed us.

I licked my chapped lips and somehow found the courage to ask a question: "What am I going to do?" 

The ringleader gave me a surprised look then quickly grinned at me "I am aware of what you did little one," he stated as he made a hand gesture for me to get up and follow him. I quickly stood and trailed behind him as he continued talking "You broke into a Federal Building which is why you have been stripped of your Accepted status." 

I nodded and continued walking behind him as he appeared to be leading me toward what I think would be the backlot of this circus. "It is also in my understanding that you were once a Cirque Official am I wrong?" The ringleader asks as we continue walking.

"Yes, that is true," I say quietly as the ringleader just hums and nods. 

As we make it to the backlot the ringleader stops and looks at me "Well, we have no more trailers so you're just gonna have to figure out how to make yourself a home. We will chat tomorrow." 

On that note, the ringleader turns on his heel and heads back up to the entrance of the arena of the circus is. I am sure his living quarters would be around there as well since I knew that the ringleader from Cirque de Unfortunato had his home near the arena and backlot. 

When I finally turn back to the backlot I notice a lot of Unfortunates are now staring at me with disgust and some of them look smug. The ones with the smug expressions began shouting at me "Serves you right!"

"Now you will know how it feels!"

"Guess you're not as high and mighty as you thought, slut!"

Now those were just some of the things that were being shouted at me as I walked passed them with my head held high. Many of them didn't like that and one Unfortunate man grabbed my upper arm and tugged me back into the crowd of screaming Unfortunates. They immediately threw me onto the floor and began kicking me. I curled into a ball and tried to protect my head as my stomach took the blows of the angry crowd. 

I tightened my eyes and willed myself to not cry. Do not show them that you are weak I thought to myself as I continued to receive blows left and right. Suddenly a booming voice cut through the air "Step away from the girl now!" 

Protests were heard throughout but still, no one made a move to leave me alone. Most of them seemed to shrug and get back to hitting me and insulting me. The mysterious voice boomed again "Last chance!" 

Again, no one listened. "Fine, you asked for it," the booming male voice said then he continued "Amara.." 

A huge roar suddenly cut through the air and all the Unfortunates who were beating me immediately scrambled away in fear. I cautiously uncurled myself and my eyes widened as I saw a huge lioness prowling toward me. My scream caught in my throat as I tried to remain as still as possible. 

"Don't worry she means no harm," The male voice said and I snapped my eyes to the figure walking towards me. The lioness, Amara, immediately stopped prowling and went to sit by the mysterious man who was now standing in front of me offering me his hand. I bit my lip but cautiously accepted his hand as he helped me stand. The man seemed to be an older Unfortunate who was in his 50's. He was tall as he towered over me but his brown eyes looked warm and welcoming.