(18) IRREDEEMABLE

Hey Circus Freaks! So you are probably wondering why I've been M.I.A lately. Well you see I stopped updating because of the fact that it was my last year in high school and I needed to focus on finals! But I am glad to say that I finally graduated! and that I should be able to now update faster! Also, I want to thank those who leave supportive comments! On another note, the video above reminds me much of this twisted society in Circus Freak and you should check it out! The leader singer also happens to be the guy I more or less based Ben off! 💕

Caroline's P.O.V

After a minute she finally composed herself, shaking her head she said: "Oh honey I didn't buy a person I bought a slave."

I starred at her; horrified at the extent of what her words meant. For once in my life, I had no words to describe how disgusted and disappointed I truly was with my mother. I couldn't even begin to fathom how the Unfortunate boy must be feeling.

Squaring my shoulders I walked over to the boy and held my hand out to him. He first starred at me in fear but it quickly morphed into shock as he saw that I was planning on helping him. He cautiously took my hand and I gently pulled him up as my mother glared at me.

"Keep that up and you will be an Unfortunate by the end of the month" she sneered. I stood up and ignored her as I made my way back to the kitchen. Pulling out a chair, I sat down at the dining table and began serving myself the spaghetti that the boy made.

I ate my pasta in silence and peace. I wasn't even halfway done when someone set a cup full of juice in front of me. Pausing, I looked up to the person who set the cup there and was surprised to see the boy. The boy had short golden locks and stunning blue eyes much like my own. The boy was not muscular by any means but he seemed to have a lean build.

"Thanks" I muttered.

His lips quirked up a little as his blue eyes darted around the room suspiciously. When he finished scanning the room he spoke: "Thank you for helping me earlier." I nodded as he asked, "If you don't mind me asking, what's your name?"

The question took me by surprise but I answered it anyway "Caroline."

He nodded as I said "Yours?"

The boy paused then in a low voice he said " Bruno."

Bruno was about to say something but my mother's voice rang throughout the whole house "Slave!" Bruno let out a puff of air then proceeded to head towards my mother's voice.

I watched in curiosity as he nonchalantly climbed up the spiral stairs as if he wasn't afraid and that left me reeling. How did he go from terror to a nonchalant behavior? I didn't know but I intended to find out.

For the next several weeks I began observing him. How he could play the victim, yet act nonchalant the next had me baffled. I had decided to spend more time observing him from afar before I took any action against it. During the weeks I spent observing him, Benjamin and I had actually grown a lot closer.

Every day the ringleader would order us to feed and clean the lion's den. During that time Benjamin and I would talk about all kinds of things. I was pleased to say that I was finally breaking down some of his walls. Although he did have days where he would completely shut me out and acted completely bipolar. Those days annoyed me the most because he would often tell me "But I'm an Unfortunate right? What I say does not matter."

As much as I wished to tell him otherwise we both know that his words were true. He was right, an Unfortunate had absolutely no say in what goes on. During those times I would simply stay quiet and wait for him to come back around. I didn't blame him for his mixed feelings. On one hand, I have been a good friend for him yet on the other our society labels the Unfortunates as slaves and no one, including myself, has done anything about that.

Today while I was managing the ticket booth the ringleader came up to me and said: "Please supervise the slave in the lion's den." I knew he was talking about Benjamin, all I managed to do was nod and make my way towards the lion den. As I entered the den, I noticed Benjamin was in the lion's cage stroking the big cat's fur. Walking in further Ben still had not noticed me. He was speaking in hushed whispers to the lion. The lion seemed to understand him because every now and then the big cat would let out a purr and a whine.

"Benjamin?" I called out.

His head snapped up and his intense grey eyes met mine. I tried not to shrink away from his intense gaze but I ended up averting my gaze. Benjamin stroked the furry beast one more time before finally getting up and walking out of the now clean cage. He walked over to the huge tin filled with red meat and effortlessly hauled it up. Benjamin set the tin in the lion's cage and the lion immediately went to chow on his meat.

"Good boy, Loki." Benjamin muttered.

"Loki? As in the God of Mischief?" I asked.

Benjamin nodded as he got out of the cage and went to sit on a small stool "When I was young my mother used to tell me stories" he paused then continued "My favorite was always the one about the carefree mischievous god. As a child, I always envied that and wished I could be like Loki."

"Oh, I see." I muttered.

Benjamin looked at me and gave me a small smile "We never had books so my mother would simply tell me what she remembered or she would just completely make them up."

I smiled and wished my mother was like that. Taking a deep breath "My mother was never really apart of my life. I mean she was there but always detached and cold for some reason. She has always been miserable but I don't know why."

Benjamin stared at me, his grey eyes piercing my blue ones, he simply said: "The world is fucked up."

"Do you think it will ever change? This society I mean?" I stated.

Benjamin stared at me with curiosity before shaking his head and stating "No, I do not think it will ever change. You can hope for it but I am doubtful of it happening."

"But why?"

"Because, Care, we do not live in a fairy tale. We live in a cold hard reality."

"I think you are lying then." I stated stubbornly.

Benjamin clenched his jaw and stood up. His height towered over mine as he stared me down. His grey eyes to my blue ones " The society will never change it did not a 100 years ago and it will not now."

"It sounds like you don't even want it to be saved!" I yelled at him.

He gave me a deadly look "Ok even if it was saved what then?"

"Well, I-"

"Exactly you don't know" Benjamin interrupted.

"Maybe we can all finally live in peace" I stated.

"No, that will never happen!" He snapped in frustration.

"But Why Ben?"

"Because The accepted have made us SLAVES and that will forever be IRREDEEMABLE!" He yelled as his grey eyes shone with hate.

-M.O