(15) STORMY NIGHTS

Caroline's P.O.V 

"Okay class you guys an now have the rest of the period free. Remember to have a good break and beware the oncoming storm!" My priority room teacher preached as I sat at my desk leaning my cheek onto my palm. My gaze was fixed outside, like it had been all day, the sky was a dark grey and the clouds were misty giving off an eerie look. 

I had been zoned out the whole period with my gaze glued outside. Sighing I rubbed my tired eyes as I heard someone call out my name. Snapping my head up I saw Layla looking at me with concern etched on her features "You okay Care?" 

I simply nodded and gave her a tired smile "Yeah I am just sleepy is all" I explained.  Layla nodded then smiled "Don't forget we have work today." Groaning out loud I said "Ugh I totally forgot we had a shift tonight and not to mention there is a huge storm heading our way." 

Layla gave me a sheepish smile as I continued to rant. After a few minutes I was finally done just in time for the bell to ring signaling the end of school. Getting up, I collected my stuff and followed Layla out of school as we began walking home.   

We both walked briskly towards our houses since we didn't want to risk getting caught up in the storm but it was still calm. The calm before the storm. When I finally made it to my house I said goodbye to Layla and promised to meet up for work in about two hours. She agreed and parted ways with me as she headed home. 

Entering my house, the amazing smell of spaghetti filled my nostrils and my stomach immediately growled. Walking into the kitchen I was surprised to see it was my sister cooking and not my mom. "Smells great." I commented as I sat at the island. 

Elena smiled shyly as she took out a plate and piled some spaghetti onto it before placing the plate in front of me. Smiling, I thanked her and dug into my spaghetti. Elena simply shook her head and joined me at the table also eating. 

As I finished my food I gazed up at my sister and noticed how different we actually were and even looked. My hair was golden and curly whereas hers was straight and brown. Our eyes were the only thing we had in common, they were blue like our mom's. 

When she finished eating I cleared both of our plates and washed them. "Do you work today?" Elena asked.

I simply nodded as I checked the time- just one more hour I thought as I began to exit the kitchen. "Be careful the storm is supposed to be a really big one" Elena called out.

I smiled at her and said "They always say it is going to be big and it usually never is but I will be careful." 

I made my way towards my room and decided to take a shower since I felt gross. Stripping my clothes off I quickly jumped into the shower. Sighing, I closed my eyes as my body began to relax under the warm water. After a few minutes I began washing my hair and body. When I finally finished I got dressed in my work uniform and began drying my still wet hair. 

Once it was dry it went back to its naturally curly state. Pulling out my holo I checked the time and saw that it was almost time to head to work so I texted Layla. 

Me: We should start heading out already.

A few moments later my holo beeped and displayed a message from Layla.

Layla: On my way!

Huffing, I got up from my spot on my bed and gathered my whip and hooked it onto my belt. Grabbing my hat from off my bed I finally made my way out of my room. I said goodbye to Elena and my dad as I exited the house. Layla stood outside wearing her uniform as well.

"Ready?" She asked.

Nodding I smiled as we began walking to work. We didn't really feel like taking the tram today so we just decided to kill time and walk. We made short talk but for the most part we both seemed to be lost in our own thoughts. After walking for what felt like an eternity we finally made it to the circus.