one | 1993

"C'mon, let's take this one!" Fred shouted to the group behind him as he came across an empty compartment on the Hogwarts Express, quickly jumping inside to claim it as his own.

Clary and George quickly followed suit along with Lee bringing up the rear as the boys all stretched out in the space remaining in the compartment, which left little room for their sister.

"Hey guys, I'm going to go look for Vas," Clarissa announced, standing up. "I'll see you later."

"Bye Cece," the boys chorused as she left the compartment, wandering around as the train began to pull out of King's Cross, shouts coming in through the open windows of family members bidding their children goodbye.

It wasn't long before Clary found the Scamander twins in a compartment on the other side of the train from where she'd come on with her brothers and Lee. Vasantha sat on one side chatting animatedly to the others in the compartment, and Newt sat on the other side along with none other than Cedric Diggory, the two boys listening to whatever it was she was saying.

"Knock knock," Clary said with a grin, sliding the compartment door open and taking a seat next to Vasantha. "what did I miss?"

"Clary!" Vas exclaimed, throwing her arms around the girl in a tight hug. "How was your trip?"

"Trip?" Cedric asked.

"Yeah," Clary said, nodding, "don't you read the Daily Prophet? Dad won their Grand Prize Galleon Draw, so we went to Egypt to visit Bill."

"All that time in Egypt and you couldn't even manage to get the slightest bit of a tan?" Cedric teased, noticing that she still remained as pale as ever.

"Anyways," she continued on, pausing briefly to shoot Cedric a glare. "it was fun. We tried to shut Percy in a pyramid once, but Mum caught us. It was nice to see Bill after so long. And Charlie met us there, too. They don't come home too often."

"It sounds like you had a great time." Newt said. "What was your favorite part?"

"Definitely trying to shut Percy in the pyramid," she said with a giggle.

"Same old Clary," Newt said with a smirk. "any pranks planned for this year?"

"Only the best ones," Clary announced with a wink. "but I must never reveal my secrets."

"Which reminds me," Cedric cut in, showing off a badge pinned to the front of his shirt, a glint appearing as it caught the light above them. "you might want to be a little nicer to me from now on."

Prefect.

"Not bloody likely," Clary retorted with a snort. "so you lot? What'd you do over the summer?"

"Went to the States, actually," Vasantha explained. "to visit our aunt Queenie. She still runs our uncle's bakery, even though he's been gone for two years now. So I helped her out there, and Newt spent some time with our grandfather."

"How was the bakery?" Clary asked.

"Oh, it was fun," she said. "we like to continue Uncle Jacob's tradition of baking goods that look like magical creatures. But my aunt also likes to continue the tradition of baking without using magic, and she taught me how to do it. I must say, non-magic baked goods are way better than magic baked goods."

"And you, Newt?" Clary asked, turning to the boy. "How were things with the great Newt Scamander?"

"Need I remind you that I am the great Newt Scamander?" he said with a smirk. "But it was amazing. He's writing a new book, and asked for my help. So we travelled around studying some new creatures."