eleven

"Think Lupin'll mind if I didn't get my essay done?" Fred asked as Clary led the twins into the classroom, taking the empty seat next to where Vasantha already sat with Newt and Cedric. "Can I use Harry's Quidditch accident as an excuse? I was too distraught over my friend and his well-being to focus on my homework?"

"Freddie, you were in the Hospital Wing for a total of thirty minutes that day." Clary pointed out.

"Yes, but werewolves are a tricky subject and I forgot everything Quirrell taught us third year."

"All depends on his mood." Newt said, leaning back in his chair so he could see Fred. "But Uncle Remus is pretty cool. He shouldn't mind. I don't think it was initially part of his lesson plan, since werewolves are generally a third year topic."

"Ah, speak of the devil." Vas said, eyeing her uncle in the doorway.

"Take your seats," Professor Lupin said, ushering all of the latecomers into the classroom as he entered behind them and gesturing toward their empty desks before placing his briefcase on the top of his desk and turning to face the class. "please take your seats and let's get started, much to discuss today."

"Merlin, he looks rough." Clary whispered to Vasantha, taking in the man's appearance.

Professor Lupin looked as if he hadn't slept in days, and was sporting a number of cuts and bruises scattered about his face. The robe adorning his frame was a bit tattered, only repaired where he attempted to patch the fabric up, and he kept his head down, eager to avoid making eye contact with any of the students.

"Looks like he won't be accepting my essay late." Fred hummed, staring down at his desk.

"Before we begin, I would like to apologize for my, erm... absence on Friday." Lupin began, pacing the front of the room slowly. "Urgent matter, couldn't be avoided. Professor McGonagall informed me yesterday that Professor Dumbledore entrusted Professor Snape to lead the classes, which I can assure you was not my doing. I understand Professor Snape gave you all an essay on werewolves, of which I am happy to announce you do not have to turn those in."

The majority of the class let out a relieved sigh, save for Vas and Newt, who were very knowledged on the subject thanks to their grandfather's influence. Lee even went so far as to pick his essay up from where it lay on his desk and proceed to rip it to shreds, a proud grin present on the boy's face.

"Now that's what I like to hear," Fred said with a smile.

"Now that we've covered that, let's proceed to today's lesson, which will be over vampire bats..."

"Cedric!" Clary called as soon as Professor Lupin dismissed the class, nearly bolting out of her chair and running after the boy. "Cedric, wait up! Diggory!"

Cedric quickly turned around in the hallway, his eyes searching for the source of the commotion before they landed on Clary, raising her arm up into the air over the crowd of other students in order to be seen. She finally broke free from the others passing by, nearly tripping before Cedric's arms shot out to her shoulders, holding her in place until she was steadied.

"Are you okay?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows in concern.

"Yeah," she said, catching her breath and readjusting the strap of her messenger bag on her shoulder. "I actually wanted to talk to you about the match the other day."

"Wicked goal you had there." Cedric pointed out as the pair walked down the corridor, no particular destination in mind.

"Thanks," Clary said, her eyes widening as she remembered Cedric's fallen teammate. "Merlin's beard, I nearly forgot! How's Heidi?"

"Oh, she's fine." he reassured her. "I think her pride suffered more than anything. Broken shoulder from the Bludger and broken ankle from the fall, but Madame Pomfrey fixed her up in no time."

"Good," Clary nodded, "good. Actually, I wanted to talk to you about what happened with you and Oliver about the rematch. You really didn't have to do that."

"It just didn't seem fair." Cedric explained, his features softening. "Harry would've beaten me to it. He was about to grab it when he turned to face the Dementor. I didn't notice it, thought the chill was just from the rain and from being higher up in the air, so I seized the opportunity of him pulling back and grabbed the Snitch. When I turned back around to see what happened, Harry was gone. A rematch seemed like the best option."

"That was really nice of you." she concluded finally. "You know, you're really not half bad, Cedric Diggory."

"So does this mean you're going to stop picking on me?" he asked with a hopeful grin.

"Oh, no," she snorted. "better luck next time."

"Worth the shot," he mused. "So, what's been going on with you and Newt?"

"You mean the love potion?" Clary asked, groaning. "Don't remind me. My brothers won't let me live it down. I don't remember much of it, to be honest. Apparently I almost cost Vas a finger during Herbology."

"Well, I guess that goes to show you that academics are more important than love lives." he said, causing Clary to come to an abrupt halt as she turned back to face him.

"Well, speak for yourself." she retorted, crossing her arms over her chest. "Where's Cho at, anyways?"

"But I haven't been so distracted that I'm making people lose their fingers." he pointed out.

"Why do you care about me and Newt anyways?" she asked, raising a brow suspiciously with a suspicious smile.

"I- I don't." Cedric piped up, his cheeks flushing as he fumbled over his words. "W-What are you talking about?"

"No reason to be jealous, Ceddy," Clary teased, causing him to blush further. "there is nothing going on between me and Newt."

"You're mental," he scoffed, his cheeks never losing their flushed appearance. "I don't..."

Cedric backed up a few steps before running into another student, nearly tripping backwards over his feet and quickly turning around, quickly walking down the hallways, leaving Clary laughing after him. A little further down, he ducked into a stairwell, eager to distance himself from the scene.

"Nice one, Diggory," Clary mumbled before continuing her walk towards Gryffindor Tower, still shaking her head. "Nice one."